1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Liquid De-Iceing help

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Superior L & L, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

We are in the process of trying to figure out some application rates and need some math wizards to help !

We will be spraying at 9 gallons per min with a 10' spray boom. At what speed can i travel if i need to get 35 gallons per acre.

I have a number figured but want to just check

Thanks in advance!

2. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I didn't do the exact math, but somewhere around 17 MPH

3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

its around 13 mph

im not sure, somebody could check me a little , ...also did some rounding to make it easy

acre is about 45,000 / 10 foot boom - 4500 liner feet - which needs about 36 gals to be applied , if your spraying at 9 gpm, then it would take 4 mins to spray 4500 feet - so thats 1125 feet per min x 60 mins = 67500 / 5280 = 12.78 MPH

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  4. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

how do you know youre spraying 9gpm?

you need 30-40 gpa so...........at 9gpm that would take you, 4 min to travel 1 mile and that's:confused:....roughly 20mph

how do know youre spraying 9gpm?........what P.S.I. (at the nozzle) what kind of tip's are you useing?......how far apart are they?

9gpm is a BUNCH! i would guess that youre not spraying that much but i don't know?

PJ

5. We run our rigs at 10 mph to get 35 gallons of Magic per acre. I would think you will be there or slightly higher.

6. elite1msmith

from chicago

Pj, i think hes trying to build himself a rig .... I dont think hes at the point to take into consideration the placement of the tips and type ... eitherway what ever he chooses if his flow truley is 9 gpm , with a full 10 foot boom , then i think he would be around 13

7. Superior L & L

from MI

Thanks for the help guys, I saw metro said about 8 mph on his units and im trying to get double the gallons per min but have a couple of extra feet of spray boom. I was thinking about 14-15 mph IF i can get the 9 gpm

Thanks for the help

8. elite1msmith

from chicago

by my calculations 13 what are you going to use for a pump?

9. Superior L & L

from MI

Im thinking we are going to use a Lesco fert sprayer. it has a 5 hp Honda on it and the Lesco rep said it would get 9 gpm all day. We will probably take the tank off and put a 600 gallon tank on the truck but use the Lesco pump, motor and hose real set up.
    Now I just need to get some help on nozzel selection
    I realy need to sit down and just build his thing but we are still bidding realy heavy right now

10. elite1msmith

from chicago

ill send you some specs of mine later

11. powerjoke

Elite:......i don't know how you could tell him that 13mph is how fast he need's to travel,.....here's why lol

it doesnt matter if the pump will put out 140 gpm..........the PSI at the spray bar is what matter's....and it doesnt matter how wide youre spray boom is either.......the nozzle spaceing is what matter's thier too.

you'll need stream nozzles for drivelanes, so the cars can spread the chemical

you'll need fan nozzles for parking stall's (without traffic) for even coverage.

now.........the nozzle size, spaceing, and boom PSI is what will determine GPMspeed witch will determine youre travel speed!

i don't know much but i'll help what i can, i have been around sprayer's for ever and calcium is just another chemical witch need's to be delivered at precise controll.

i have one sprayer on the 5500 that has a 1 1/2" hypro centrifigul hydrualic driven pump........that pump is capable of putting out 110gpm but do i demand it to?.....no

here's a pic of it

PJ

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

It's latter......

13. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

I'm curious here.
    With you bulk setups, is it a concentrate or dump and go?

14. elite1msmith

from chicago

15. powerjoke

typically it's already diluted. i don't know if you can buy stronger stuff :confused:

as long as the end result, (calcium at least) is 32% or 11.3lbs per gallon you are set.
    so to answer the Q'........it's a pump and go kind of thing for me

PJ

16. powerjoke

trying to edit post eh' lol

its latter and still no pic's

17. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

I wouldn't mind getting setup for this but there is a lot of startup cost to being able to apply it.

18. elite1msmith

from chicago

has beeb built yet... this weekend.. i just know the calculations on it

19. powerjoke

i know youre post wasnt really a Q......but i turned it into one for ya :D lol

i all depend's on what you think a LOT is?.....

is it free?...NO, what is?

is it something that will pay for itself? Yes,

will it directly replace salt.....NONONONO

will it help cut down salt useage YES

PJ

20. powerjoke

what the hell is a "beeb" :confused.....j/k