1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Liquid Calcium

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by dlcequip, Feb 24, 2007.

1. dlcequip

dlcequip Member
    from ohio

Has anyone used liquid calcium? The last storm we got in columbus on 2/13/07 we got a little bit of ice and it was to cold at night for salt to work at its full potential. I have been wanting to try liquid calcium but dont know if its worth it or if i can make any money on it.Any insight??

2. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

the calcium around here is 1.5% chemtrec is one of the co selling it .it works well when temps hit fifteen or below,adding calcium is the fastest way to melt down.
    do not add it directly to salt unless you can get that salt spread fast or you will have a rock hard ball of salt you will need a jack hammer to remove it,it will solidify quick.
    if you want to use calcium get a prewet system or make your own so the liqiud hits the salt at the spinner .we had alot of ice and the calcium was the ticket to get it loose when it gets so cold.
    i saw in an add that snowex has a liquid unit now but i havent seen it or used it.
    salt brine is useless so dont bother with that stick with calcium chloride.

3. dlcequip

dlcequip Member
    from ohio

Can you just spray it on like the brine trucks? I was thinking of putting a sprayer in the back of my truck and spraying it on the ice and then throwing salt down.