1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Liquid Calcium Chloride ( Well Brine) let it all hang out!!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ChlorideGuy, Oct 10, 2009.

1. ChlorideGuy

ChlorideGuy Member

I started this post for everyone to come together to talk and offer some insight and to air somethings out. Seems that there is alot of talk on here about well brines not being consisent, not working, or freezing up. Ok here goes.

#1 not all brines are the same i.e
    oil field brine: Oil field brine comes from an oil well hence the name! very low calcium content, causes cancer,dirty, has oil residue and not to mention is against the law to use.

#2 Natural Minerial Well Brine
    in most cases all minerial wells are set in the same formation. any where from 3300 to 6000 feet deep. Has very high calcium content along with mag. pota.and sodium content. These are all of the major ice and snow fighting chemicals.

# 3 Not all wells are produced at the same rate of production some operators pump water down hole so not to salt there pumps over and avoid a costly repair. but this compromises the quailty of brine produced. There is one producer That does not pump water down hole.
    he will remain unnamed so as not to give has position away.

#4 Just like going to the doctor and getting the proper dose of medicine. You have to use the proper dose of brine per applaction. I would like to clear up some things here.
    Brine will not melt 2'' of ice
    Brine isent the end all be all of ice and snow you will still have to use some salt
    Brine is a tool in your arsenal to fight snow and ice
    Used the right dose anti icing 40- 50 mabey even 100gal per acre depends on the storm
    and what your trying to do. we have people that went all liquids last year and are happy but there usage is very high and they have good results.

# 5 It's to costly to get into

No it isent if your a small user i.e 250, 500, 1500, gal. your going to pay more becouse you dont have the capitol out lay on the line that others have put out to buy tanks and filling stations. People that have put in the investment to buy tanks and sprayers and are buying 5000 gal. or more to get away from the salt monguls have seen there investment pay off in last years storms. we have reports from some of our people that they have saved up to $140,000.00 last year alone using brine over salt. Dont know about you guys but i would spend $ 25,000.00 on equiptment to save $ 100,000.00 in salt.

even though we are a producer and supplier and my competition is prob. going to read this i would like to here all the goods and bads about your experiences using others brine or using our brine let it all hang out here guys and hopfully we can move on and clear up all the confusion people have about using brine.

Thanks guys,
    Michael Humphries THE CHLORIDE GUY
  2. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Mike I am glad you posted this here and thanks for calling the other day. I am looking forward to reading the upcoming comments.

Will you tell me more about the oil field brine please? You briefly mentioned it to me in our conversation the other day because my current supplier might be using it. Let me know more about it if you can.
  3. OutdoorServices

OutdoorServices Junior Member

Mike is a very helpful person and has tons of knowledge in this field . I am new into liquid and he has helped me a ton !
    Thanks for your help Mike good to see you on here.
  4. threeleaf

threeleaf Senior Member

hey mike
    How about a call back.... we have gotten prices from your competitors and i would like to get yours. and some more info about your product.we are ready to buy but i wanna give you guys a chance...
    1 860 209 3844
    thank you
  5. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Mike's product SUCKS its over priced and doesnt work !!! :laughing::laughing::laughing:
  6. Superior L & L

from MI

Ok, my last post was a joke !!

I will tell you some of my story's and finding, random, non organized but true

We are not a big player in this stuff but i started using liquid January of this year due to the salt BS. We applied about 1500-2000 per event. I think we used about 25-30,000 gallons for the couple of months left in the season. We used some well brine from "another" supplier and it was slow to react. Mike's product worked real well for us. On our retail it was great we would apply between 6-7:30am and once you got some cars on the lot it was TOTAL water within a hour or two. If i needed to get better results we just applied a little more heavy.

I typically :laughing: when retailers/wholesalers tell me the application rates of there product. I've tried 3-4 different ones and they all say 30-50 gallons per acre. If i put 30 gallons down per acre with anything ive tried it would take a week to melt. I usually used 50-70 gallons per acre. (Mikes Right on with what he says!)

There was a period of time last season late on when people started to get salt again. temps dropped in the single digits and for a couple of days salt didnt work. Our lots were all water by 8:00am while everyone else's had salt laying all over them with snow and ice all over them also. That made us look real good!!! We sold our liquid deicer as a cheaper alternative to salting. We told them the results were a little slower and no residual but readily available and then when the temps dropped like this we were saints!!

There are some manufactured products out there but i feel that at close to three times the cost of well brine are not worth the extra cost.

Oh then finally i guess I'll stroke :laughing: Mike a little. I would call him any time day or night and he would answer the phone (or return call if he was on other line). I took 5000 gallons at a time so i had to wait till i got real low to reorder. Id call any day and his truck would be there the next morning. There were a couple of times that we screwed up and got same day delivery. I know of one time that a delivery came as late as 9:00pm. Weird but i needed the product. Another time i talked to him after dinner one night needing product for the next morning. I dont know when they delivered it but at 4:00am when my guys came in to work the product was there. :dizzy:

O and finally finally dont buy from this guy........... if he gets a lot more customers i will not be "special" and will have to wait weeks for delivery !
  7. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Anyone have a source in NJ. We are just venturing out in the liquids field and would much rather purchase product than mix our own. We plan on working from 275 gallon totes to start. I have several already....
  8. ChlorideGuy

ChlorideGuy Member

nice post Paul!!!! please dont try to help us out again (lol) as to your orders as always paul only the best for you.
  9. ChlorideGuy

ChlorideGuy Member

TerraPro Oil Field Brines are a biproduct of oil production in the field they can range for crude production to natural gas production
    they are a very low quailty brines with high levels of cancer causing inorganics, some brines have an oily residue some do not depends on what there trying to pawn off on you. Even if the brine looks clean, All oil fields or Oil wells have a program called .. CRADEL TO GRAVE meening that the brine that they produce from that well has to be pumped back downhole or be taken to a certified disposal well for injection back downhole.
    Some owners or operators of oil wells (or there friends...) see ice control or snow removal opertunities for this material and take the chance to make a quick buck insted of disposing of the brine properly. That is agienst the law, and not to mention unethical.There is a cost for disposal of oil field brine so if you buy it they save the disposal fee and then charge you a cheep price for it so they make out both ways . If you chose to use oil field brine do youself a favor have the person you are getting it from give u an MSDS sheet and a complete chemical break down,i.e.. BTEX test or Brine spread test. make sure it is from the well they are drawing from and read it Odds are you wont get one and you prob. wont get any more brine from them. In closing ....What im trying to say here is that they have brine and it might work good sometimes but what if it doesent??? your stuck with Oil field brine and they dont care, odds are your not going to call anyone or do anything about it in fear of fines.
  10. terrapro

from MI

Not to mention putting oil down to defeat slippery situations doesn't sound like a good idea :confused:
  11. ChlorideGuy

ChlorideGuy Member

Like i said Terrapro some oil fields brines look clean. But in fact have alot of bad chemicals in them. I hope i helped you out.
  12. ChlorideGuy

ChlorideGuy Member

I would like every one to know i didn't put this post up to boast our product (if intrested go to our website) or to defile the competition, and I hope they chime in. I put it up to get comments on all liquids to futher the industry and make knowledge aval. to all. It might seem that i know all about Brines.. All though I am very educated in the field and have learned alot in the past few years, I am still learning. And i would like input from users for all to see. If you dont like our product please let us know here. If you liked it great, post that. If you used other stuff and liked it great post that. If you have had bad luck with liquids post that.. What im trying to say is let it all hang out right here right now so we can help, hinder, argue,or agree.. and we all just might save or make some money this year
    Thanks for all you comments.. Mike a.k.a. The Chloride Guy
  13. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Just was quoted $4.65 a gallon, 32% CaCl from Peters Chem coming out of LI NY in 55 gallon barrels. WIll not fill totes...to busy.
    This sounds really high to me.....
  14. terrapro

from MI

Yes, of course you did. I will let you know what comes of my contracts and what I will need.
  15. making a living

making a living Junior Member

Mike's stuff works

Hello i used mike's liquid about 6,00 gallons last year really good stuff
    i tried all the other guys and it just didnt seem to work unless you put 200 gallons a acre
    mike you do have the stuff
  16. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I use and sell Mike's product. I have had no issues with the product or with his service. Great people to deal with.
  17. Superior L & L

from MI

I thought you used MCS. Now I like you John :)
  18. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

Hey mike, send me some numbers.

Thanks Robert
  19. Superior L & L

from MI

Probably time to fill up the tanks. Im also looking into pre treating my salt
  20. Bill QT

Bill QT Junior Member
    from NC

LCC Used Alone

I recently bought 550 gals of LCC, from one of Mikes distributors in VA,very good experience. Mike the dist in VA is going to stop using salt in his plowing business. I would like to do the same. I am in the mountain area of NC,where not many people have heard of LCC. My question to everyone is, when to use it, and when not to use it. Even Mike says, it will not eliminate salt completely. I do not want to create a skating rink at any of my new accounts. I have searched the different post on Plowsite, but have not really gotten a diffinitive answer. I have read in some government documents about temps, moisture, types of storms and so on, but nothing firm. If the LCC cannot be used alone, then I need to get a salt spreader fast. Thanks Bill