1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Liquid Cal. Vs, Liquid Mag

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by slc12345, Jan 3, 2013.

1. slc12345

slc12345 Member
    from CT

We have been using Liquid Calcium Chloride for anti-icing for the last few years with good results. Our tanks are almost empty and we need to order 6,000 gallons and our supplier sells both with the mag chloride being a little bit cheaper and he says that we may like it even better. Just want to get a few opinions before we order next week.
  2. threeleaf

threeleaf Senior Member

hey man long time no see,.. How is everything going?
    we used mag for a little bit while i couldnt get calc.. we had good luck with it and would use it again..
  3. fireside

fireside Senior Member

I'm looking it to liquids for next year just wondering were you guys are located? I would like to look at some systems but no one in my area runs any liquids
  4. slc12345

slc12345 Member
    from CT

Hey Threeleaf how thing going? Not bad here could be better though. "Fireside we are located in Southington we do offer the liquids for sale and do sell to one other landscaper in the area, give me a pm if you want more info.
  5. threeleaf

threeleaf Senior Member

we run 3 lesco space saver untis and just add a elec valve and a spray bar very simple .
    we do not sell the liquids i tell everyone that asks me to call SLC he will hook you up with what you need..

tj 2.jpg

tj 6.jpg
  6. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Mag is very hard on electrical so make sure if you have any connections even remotely close they are extremely well protected. Ive used both, I prefer cal.
  7. szorno

szorno Senior Member

with the exception of bare copper (damaged wiring) and bare aluminum, mag is less corrosive than cal. Been using mag for 12 years and have minimal corrosion ln trucks or sprayers. Cal will generally work at a colder temp though. Trade-offs abound.