1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Liquid brine guys!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ajracing81, Jul 24, 2014.

1. ajracing81

ajracing81 Member

So this is my first season for bidding with salt brine. I'm wondering how most guys charge per application. I played with it towards the end of last year and would like to offer it in my bids this year. Thanks for any help
  2. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth Senior Member

I'd like to see some info on the subject too
  3. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

I charge the same as regular salt... one flat fee I get to make the choice as to what de-icer I use. Rock salt / vs treated / liquid...
  4. liquidchloride

liquidchloride Junior Member

Charge the same as you would rock salt--here's a few tidbits of info
    * Plow first--even at 1/2 inch--
    * Learn to plow and salt at the same time--must have electronic ball valve--in truck controls
    * 23.3% salt brine= 2.3 lbs per gallon of salt--well brine is usually about 25-26% chlorides--so 2.5lbs per gallon--melting power of both is the same per lbs of chloride--don't let anyone tell you different. Canada guys may need the lower melting temp of well brine however--here in MI we just don't get that cold
    * We call our system--two men and a truck--bring a sidewalk guy with you everytime out--cheap labor--must have containment blade of some sort
    * Use liquid on sidewalks---save you A LOT of money
    * You can plow between 4-7 acres per hour at less than 1 inch of snow--try it--you'll suprise yourself--walkway guy can do walks as you plow & SALT
    * Do the math at clearing, salting, walkways, 125 gallons per acre (10 gallons per 1,000 square ft sidewalks)
    * We sub out most work --so here's our math--4 acres per hour--all on site
    2 guys -- $85 per hour total $85 + (500 gallons @ .20) $100 + whatever for sidewalks -- $6= $191 to service 4 acres at less than 1 inch--at 3/8 or less -- salt away at 200 gallons per acre

Hope this helps a little