1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Liquid Beet juics - staining ??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by scottL, Nov 20, 2009.

1. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I've got a sample few gallons of a liquid blend with beet juice and I'm wondering about staining. In particular will it stain; cement or brick????

So far I sprayed a little on some decent cement and asphalt and although it colored it at first the discoloring went away after the first rain. But, can/will it stain brick or new cement???

THanks!

2. cda817

cda817 Senior Member

I would contact the manufacturer because they are who you can go after if something happens.

3. scottL

I did contact the manufacture. The typical response you get from most anyone selling anything in the snow plow industry ...... A fluff off with no facts. Shouldn't, maybe, probably, dunno.:realmad: :cry:

What I am looking for is real world experience and I'm finding that hard to find. Thanks!

4. BORIS

BORIS Senior Member

i can tell you that if people walk through it and then walk inside it will stain carpet.

5. Deco

Deco Senior Member

had samples last year ....just pour some on a white t-shirt :eek:

6. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

:dizzy:WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So what about beet juice treat bulk salt. I just took a commitment for some treat salt and they want to sell me the beet juice treat at a lower cost. I never consider staining. Stupid me.

How about is anyone use the beet juice treated bulk salt last season or was this just a muli things last season? Come to think of it I do not remember any out cry from the motoring public. You know if someone drive there car on the road just salted with beet juice treated and it turned purple we would have heard about it.

I do not have to take the beet juice treat it is just about $3.00 less a ton and I mix it with my untreated bulk.

:salute:Great thread. Thanks for bringing it up.

TIA, Ron G.

7. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

i have treated my bulk salt with beet juice for the past 7 years. never had any complaints about staining on anything. several years ago i accidently broke a shut off valve on one of the storage tanks and the beet juice came flowing out. it took several snows to eventually wash it away.

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You mean the farmer who grew the sugar beets?

Wonder if there are any professionals who could answer this question. :rolleyes:

9. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

10. scottL

My understanding of treated bulk salt is they spray it with a carbohydrate ( sugar ) to make it sticky for the mag chloride ( or what ever their mixture is ) to adhere and start quicker when it hit's moisture. The purple stuff I believe is corn based and colored purple with a non-staining dye. That is what I got for info from one vendor - but, to ask them to put it in righting ... never happen.

11. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Yep those farmers are EVIL !

Last time I checked beets were purple, but then again I dont care to eat them so maybe there are some hybrid ones out with purple dye added.

The juice is a byproduct from the canning process. Beets have sugar in them naturally, especially "sugar beets".

Pour some Magic -0 on a shirt and see if it stains ? When you apply Magic to a lot it looks like someone emptied there slurry, yet it works :nod:
    If you spray walks it will track as well till it starts to dillute.

If you intend to spray straight beet juice you may have staining issues, treated salt, or a blend like most companys like SNI sell do not.

Scott who is selling beet juice in IL besides SNI ?

12. scottL

I'm trying a few gallons of Triple Melt from ConservFS. I believe there are three salts and beet juice.

I have a few areas that I would really benefit from applying pre-treatment so, I'm hoping the stuff works and there is no staining of the brick work. The area is a mix of new and old cement along with new brick.

13. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

ConservFS is who is offering the beet juice treated bulk. I guess I will give it a try and see what is does.

I have Triple Melt bag salt from ConservFS, I have been using on walk no isssues not sure it is the same product or just a product name.

Ron G

14. scottL

I'm using their ice age bagged for walks. I think I remember them saying the bagged triple melt is the same minus the beet juice and liquid form.

15. T-MAN

How much per gallon from conserv ?

16. scottL

I only bought a 5 gallon trial size unit. But, I believe that cost me like $27 ( not sure though ). Two gallon poly sprayer and the whole trial will cost under $50 and should work out to something like 10-15 bags of salt, maybe. My goal right now is only for sidewalk pre-treat as my trial.

I'm also sure if your a long term customer or buy a lot from them the price will reflect that.

17. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I blend GeoMelt55 (beet juice from SNI) with my salt brine and use it in anti-icing and pre-wetting application on paved and concrete roads....no staining....it washes off, or I should say mother nature washes it off. It's residual is good, but once that is gone there is not stain.

18. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

I've used GeoMelt55 as well with the same results on pavement and walks. Although it washes off of pavement and walks, it will stain clothes

19. T-MAN

At that price I would use Magic -0.
    I do some business with Conserv in Wauconda, but I am by no means going to get the heavy hitter discount like Ron :nod:
    Was hopping to find an cheaper alternative to the Ice Ban I use for pre-wet, that only cost me 1.25 a gallon.
    Any one know were there is any IL/Wi sugar beet farms, and a canning plant ?

20. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Now you have the right idea. :drinkup: