1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

liquid back pack sprayers

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by elite1msmith, Nov 24, 2008.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

all this liquid talk is interesting

so my next question is, If i put some liquid CAL , in a solo back pack sprayer.... with a heavy app nozzle, to apply sidewalks

will it work ? after shoveling? before? and how far will 3 gals make it? is this cheaper than a bag of ice melt?
  2. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

i posted a similar thread a few weeks ago and recieved no response. i hope you do get a response as i am also wondering the same things.

or maybe no one has tried yet?
  3. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

I was goofing around with this last week and it does spray just fine. I would have to assume everything would be they same as spraying out of a truck, it will work cause we know that cal works. This is just a different way of applying it. Second you should get about 2500 sq ft based off the math we have all been doing for road applications
  4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

My back pack sprayers didn't last long spaying liquid deicer before I had to take them apart and clean them, I ended up putting a 30 gallon tank on my four wheeler for sidewalks.
  5. elite1msmith

from chicago

anyone know what a 50 lb bagg of cal covers? i normally use a tri blend ice melt anyway .... but i dont think i would take a chance and mess around with brine on sidewalks
  6. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

Dow PELADOW covers 1750 - 3500 sqare feet

Just my .02¢
  7. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have not even played around with liquid yet, but my thought on this is that you would have to cover every square inch to be effictive. On roadways, or on a lot the liquid gets moved around by the traffice on it. A side walk is only going to have foot traffic, and if it is in inclament weather, will it really get used much at all? I am not trying to tell you what to do, I am just responding to the first question that came to mind, and the answer to that question.
  8. elite1msmith

from chicago

there is alot of traffic,

its 4 foot walks mostly, and i normally use 45 baggs of triblend on this site,...

im just looking at options is all.... any way to save a buck -

i could use a back pack sprayer, also i have a push , 36 inch lawn applicator that covers very well, and could easy be made to 46 inches