1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Liquid applications

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by fireside, Nov 28, 2015.

1. fireside

fireside Senior Member

I would like to test liquid pre treatments and post treat this year for two locations I have. They both have stairs that are located in the main entry of both buildings. Building a has a metal roof with no gutters so at times during one day the ice would build up over 2". It took hours to get them clean and maintain it safe. The second location is a very high end office space image is everything at this location and they pay for it. I want to pre treat the walks due to how they come dress for work!! It also has stairs that go down to the rear ground level off the main parking area. Almost all the people entry is thur that doorway.

I have a 35 gallon tank 12 volt pump system I use to spray weed killer on the hay fields. My guess is it should spray it no problem. Now can I mix calcium in to water and mix or do I need to buy some type of pre made mix? How could I make a really small 50 gallon or so of brine. I'm not really sure if I'm sold on liquids at this point so I need to experiment cost affective. Any suggestions
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  2. Digger63

Digger63 Member

if you have water off a roof washing onto the ground there isn't much you can do with even liquids. It's like pretreating before a rain storm, it just washes away. With pretreating the major rule is ground temperature vs freeze point of the liquid that you are using. If the ground temp is -10 and your liquid freezes at -6 then you have created the problem that you wanted to solve. The other problem that I try to tell people to avoid is the more is not always better idea. Usually 30 to 40 gallons per lane mile is the rule for anti - icing. When doing walks or stairs take that usage and figure out how much you would use per square ft. In your case you want enough to do the job but not to have them track it into the building. As with making your own mix, ask around and look into the internet under anti icing liquids and see what is out there to try