1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Liquid after plowing

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by elite1msmith, Jul 15, 2008.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

if theres any lquid guys out there let me know

heres the situation, i may have a new accound (small jewel) that is about 30 mins form my closest salt site...

I can not put salt and a loader on this site, so it would have to be transported, i estimated that i would need around 4 tons for one single application, at a moderate rate

well i only have so many salters, and only 1 bigger truck that could haul that amount
    and when ever you put a spreader on the back, it slows down the operator , and its not good to plow fully loaded....

how well does liquid work , for a post plowing application, against packed snow? I know that it is better applied as a pre(before) , which still might happen, but i do have the ok to keep drumps or containers on the side.... so all i would need is a small spray rig, and a transfer pump,...

the truck that we would use , would be dedicated to this site for the most part, so we want to keep it simple and small, ... if he has to stop and refill the tank , 2 or 3 times, its not a big deal, since its on site anyway....

by my math, if i wanted to appliy at 5 mph, with a 10 foot boom , i need about 7 gpm? and around 32 gals per Acre ?

i really dont have a ton of info about it, or the products.... so any liquid guys, lets hear what u got

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I haven't used liquids yet. But I did attend the talk in Buffalo about them, general rate he said was 1 gal/ 1000 ft. If you were going to need 4 ton of salt thats a lot of barrels, liquid is more in barrels than in bulk also. Using general numbers (1000 lbs/acre for salt) I'm guessing your site is around 16 acres, which means you would need about 720 gallons of liquid, & that is for pretreatment, breaking hard pack I believe takes more.

3. elite1msmith

from chicago

the site is about 3.2 acres.... I dont think i have ever spread at a rate of 1000 lbs per acre, iv always estimated about 1 acre per ton.... for an average application rate...

i just went and measured (using goole earth) a lot close by that i do,.... it was a little over an acre - 49,000 and i use around 1 ton, each time and iv plowed that lot for 5 years, and im not over salting it either?

the only reason that i said drums is because they are easy to transport, i know u can get those 200 gal containers that are on a pallet.... so would i need around 120 gals to treat it?

4. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

My numbers were off (figures 500 lbs per acre) . A ton per acre thats a very heavy app, you sure about that ? Check out the salt instite, etc. Your not only costing yourself money, your harming the environment at that rate, with the amount of runoff excess into storm sewers.

5. elite1msmith

from chicago

last season at that site, we applided and average of 1700 lbs per application (using simple math)

Now this does include, preteatments, Ice/sleet.. salting after plowing/ and salting to " met away less than 1 inch

I have never caused any salt burn, or damage to the landscape.... and mid season while it was cold,... i had the customer telling me he wanted more salt.. we didnt because suppylies were limited

As fare as money goes, they pay per ton... thats not to say we over apply on purpose, but we will apply as needed

Thats applied with a bulk V box spreader, which can empty out 2 tons in about 10 mins

Iv seen other operators, tring to salt driveways for town homes using a hydrolic dump truck.... i think he put out 100-200 lbs on a small drive way,,,,now i agree thats way to much

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  6. elite1msmith

from chicago

but this does pos an interesting question.... so i think i will add up all my salt useage and all my parking lot sizes from last year...and try to come up with an average number.... maybe im not applying as much as i think.....or more likely the parking lots are bigger than i thought.....and the above measured example, is just one of those that uses extra salt?

7. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

At least you seem honest, which is rare in this industry I have found with regards to salting. In Buffalo you should of heard some of the guys one said something like " We put down 500 lbs, charge em for a ton, if we could put down 200 lbs we would." This has been the mentality as long as I have been in the business. I do my salting by the app, to avoid it.

8. elite1msmith

from chicago

we charge for a Half ton (1/2) ton min, but really would we ever use only 1000 lbs on most of the lots that we do... granded, depending on which salt truck goes there, sometimes we have to guess at how much we applied....by looking in the spreader

we do have a few tail gate spreaders...that we use buckets (50lbs) to fill...so that make keeping track easy, and i know what the Vbox, or the Snow 8000 weight loaded ...one of our routes we buy from a local supplyier and they load us...we have to get on the scale to figure out what we owe them...
    so when i said 1700, i think thats probably in the close ball park, plus or minus 100 lbs , I use to salt that lot with bags years ago, and it took over half a pallet, and i wasnt putting down as much as i could have ....

But anybody about the liquid?