1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

liquid advice to a plowsite newbee

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by DE-ICER, Nov 18, 2012.

1. DE-ICER

DE-ICER Junior Member
    from UK

Hi guys, I have a small business based around spreading rock salt but seeing more and more interest in using liquid de icer/brine here in the U.k.

I could use an idiots guide to application rates, forward speeds, equipment etc.

As a guide I'm looking to use a quad mounted sprayer this year on pathways and limited access area's.

THanks in advance!
  2. EliteSnow&Ice

EliteSnow&Ice Senior Member

The search button is your friend. There is a ton of info on sprayers here and product. Take a few minutes and search I am sure you'll find what you need, if not come back and ask for some info.
  3. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

You have to get your spray setup and liquid and just play with it. Depending in what pump and tip(s) / nozzles you have will tell you how fast you can go. Faster pump means you can go faster obviously. Slower pump means you must go slower to apply more liquid.

Be careful because if your liquid freezes (depending on what kind of liquid you use) know your freezing temp. My freezing temperature on the liquid we have is -10 before it starts to ice rink.., never had a problem though
  4. DE-ICER

DE-ICER Junior Member
    from UK

Looking to set up a quad based system to treat areas I can't get my spreader trucks to (pathways shop fronts etc).
    The brine sprayer "off the shelf" is based on an 18litre/ min pump with a 55 litre tank, the maker claims it can treat approx 1250 sq/metres but from what bit i'm learning this sounds a bit low?
    you guys seem to be using double that so thought best to sort this bit out before I start shopping for parts.

Will get back to the search button to learn a bit more.

Thanks again.