1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lipinski waits till last minute for salting retail...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Why o why do they wait until the last minute? Since my last Lipinski thread, obviously other contractors have been subbed the sites. I have not yet seen any to talk to them, but we were out at 5am this morning salting all properties we have. The ones "we used to do", that Lipinski subs out, were not done by 7:30am when we were driving past some.

Now everything else in this small commercial area off the highway was salted, walgreens, dunkin donuts, wawa, banks, churches you name it, they were all salted and already melting.

The stuff Lipinski has, not. I did see two of their boys driving around in f550 dump trucks with pallets of bagged salt in the back, unsure why since they have their own million pound salt storage pile and all bulk spreaders, but never saw one truck of theirs out spreading.

These jackos have to be paid a flat monthly fee on their contracts, theyre still doing the same thing they did when we did work for them, wait until the very last minute, usually to go out and salt way too long after it has already started or accumulated.

We only had about an inch~ in most areas, but their retail parking lots they handle just prior to 8am when some open should be salted and clear. You read all the articles online, and in the magazines and they boast about how they offer top notch services, have a meteorologist on site, and 5 billion trucks and loaders.... but they're slower to get to sites than the little guys? Or just dont show up at all? What are they trying to save a few bucks by not having to call their subs and salt or pre-salt?

Guess by not working for them, we're really not missing out on anything since theyre the only ones who dont salt when everyone else does?

I cant wait until tonight, when we drive past their places and their "new subs" are out there with their thumbs up their butts because they stuck them with a site that they never get to salt and then we get 12"+.... I feel bad for them, and eventually ill find out who they have doing some of the sites and chat for a minute so they dont end up in the same situation we were a month ago.:realmad:
  2. CMinNJ

CMinNJ Junior Member

Just wondering where you are in Burlington County and how close are you to Mercer? Sounds like you're a man with not alot to do, because of these circumstances and we might be able to throw some work your way. Weve been handling our properties for years but always like to have additional trucks we can call in on standby for a bigger then normal event. If your close enough and interested, email me a phone number at CMerLand@aol.com and maybe we can put at least a couple of your trucks to work.
  3. Snow Princess

Snow Princess Junior Member

wow ramair..I am new to this game but you said really bitter about this company..I have seen alot of their trucks around and have heard how big they are..you dont stay big that long by doing things wrong..I work with guys like you and luckily my small company has weeded them out and we are replacing for next year...being jealous in this game keeps you a sub--I am working to make us the ones hiring them..maybe if you kept your eyes on that you wouldnt have time a day before a storm to sit on this a blog (3/1/09 was your post).
    I say this to you because although this is a money making competitive business we need to work with each other...maybe its because I am a woman and I am sick of reading these threads as I am trying to learn more info on the business and hearing these men cry about the bigger guys! Have you ever heard about a company called Brinkman? They are big--probably bigger than Lipinski and I'm sure they become a target too--but they are nobody's sub...someday I hope to say the same about my company!

No mean spiriting..just wanted to give you something to think about.
  4. Ramairfreak98ss

yeah no offense taken, read our other lipinski thread about the original problems with their terminating contracts mid season, the crap brickmans pulled off contract is in that post too.... Along the lines of subbing out properties, and then servicing themselves the whole time like salt runs and then expecting us to come out and plow them in a big storm. Brickmans is worse of a company for snow than lipinski, i think brickmans intentional was dicking over the subs, lipinski just needs to get a clue, they really think were going to wait around for them when they have to make phone calls or play games with their clients?

3-1-09, we salted that morning, and then it didnt snow here until 6pm, thats a lotta time in between after getting everything ready to make a post, what can i say, it was fresh in my mind since the morning hours, got me thinking about their crap company again and i love the internet :)

Good luck with all of your work, women can run the show too, and if more were involved with some of these companies i think the owners would be more level headed and well rounded business leaders.
  5. Snow Princess

Snow Princess Junior Member

So they contracted you guys to do the work but sometimes when it has to be done they dont call you and do it themselves?!! Whats the point in contracting you? I had a situation where my driver blamed his late arrival on my dispatching saying even though the site called me to come and do another salt at 3pm they didnt arrive until 6pm because I didnt tell them until 4:30 to go...now that wasnt true but to play devils advocate (and because this literally just happened to me this past storm so its fresh in my head) could that be whats happening to you? You mentioned you are the sub for Lipinski's sub. Could LIpinski be calling your employer but they sit a bit on it before telling you...because if so you need to squash that because as I'm sure you experience and we all do whether we are primary or the 2nd sub in line--the actual driver always takes the most heat on stuff like that! :dizzy:

D DRUMS LLC Junior Member

When we used to sub we would call them out for all storms we thought it was just to use them all the time .that way they would be there for us all the time. And not think they were being used.we made up for their time by geting it done faster . And less time on our eqpt.
  7. jburk4

jburk4 Junior Member

Hey there Ramair, they do the Deptford Mall out where we are.
    There trucks were out there this storm.
    As far as their reputation, Ive heard alot of bad about them too.. I worked for a sub of a sub for Brickman and had the problems of getting paid from the sub, will never work for anyone like that again.

We are doing all the Lowe's in Jersey, we might need some reliable subs for some up your way and up north..
    Need some machines with boxes...
  8. tutianoburgante

tutianoburgante Member

Hey Jburk4, did Lowes change you to district wide or did you choose to bid it. Another words this just came up because it is my understanding that they are changing all vendors to service the entire dist.
  9. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Ramair get used to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is a push on to "dummy down" contracts. Happens all over snow land.tymusic Had one contract for a old age nursing home, always took a tour every morning regardless to look for ice etc , and salt where required. :nod: Right now we got mild weather and the water is leaching /draining of the lawns around the walks, some spots are like a skating rink. Present contractor who is working for 34 percent less than I leaves it.:dizzy: I asked a buddy of mine who works in maintenance "Dont your section have one guy go around and check walks and fire doors"???????? Oh he said "We look out the window, if we see something we'll call the contractor otherwise we let the nurses complain and notify us" :dizzy: There ya go contract DUMMYIED DOWN.
  10. Ramairfreak98ss

Really all the lowes, thats a big contract! Just shoot me an email, we dont own anything really big, but i have an 8' protech box on a JD 66hp 4x4 tractor i could use.
  11. Ramairfreak98ss

Well i dont know about lowes, but i do know Walgreens pharmacys only go by district normally. Yet district is nothing in relationship to them to distance.

I wanted to bid one local district until i found out we'd have to hit stores in way south jersey, central jersey up as high as hightstown i think and north-south jersey in my area.... Basically id have to sub out almost the entire district and find a sub thats in the area for each store, screw that.

If they had a group close together an that was a "district" no problem.
  12. Ramairfreak98ss

yeah man, most do this now since subbed dont pay enough for the extra efforts.
  13. jburk4

jburk4 Junior Member

Lowes is District, We currently do everything for 4 of them in south jersey,
    we are getting them all in district from say, Old Brigde down to Cape May

Full Service, Landscaping, Sweeping and Snow.
  14. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

Seriously, I have 3 Lowes stores within 5 miles of my shop. Been trying for 10 years to get in with them.
  15. jburk4

jburk4 Junior Member

Well, it isnt easy to get in there. But once you are in, your in..