1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"Lint" On My Pump Filter

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by linckeil, Dec 17, 2007.

1. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

So this year I swapped over to a dedicated hydraulic fluid after reading posts here that it is perferred over ATF (which i had been running for years). And when I say I swapped, it wasn't just drain the ATF and put in the new fluid. I removed and cleaned out the internal pump and completely flushed out the angling pistons and hoses. i used a bit of kerosene to really get it all cleaned out.

So now with 2 storms and 120 driveways under it's belt, I noticed the plow started to function extremely slowly. I checked the fluid and that was fine. So i removed the electric motor and the internal pump. Sure enough, the pump filter was blocked up with what looks like the lint that collects in the dryer. i cleaned it, put it all back together, and it works perfectly again.

What is this lint-like substance??? can anything be done to prevent it from collecting? and why didn't i ever have this problem when running ATF in the past?
  2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

the lint is from the lift and angling cylinder's,are your ram's pitted ? they scrape the cotton duct material off the packings .
  3. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

now that would make sense to me. there is no pitting on my angling pistons as they are about 3 years old and always greased when the plow is not in use. the lift piston is a different story. i got the pump used and it did have some pitting on it. i guess its time to invest in a new lift piston and packing set. thanks for the input wild bill. i appreciate it.