1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Linear Actuator VS. Hydraulic power pack

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Big Nate's Plowing, Aug 30, 2001.

1. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

Hi all,
    I have two old linear actulators form a sattelite dish that are rated at 600 lbs each and I was wondering if I could possably use those to lift or angle a old 7' plow I have, that way I can have a low budget alternative to a $1000 lift unit, do you guys think they would last for a season?

Thanks , Nate
  2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I wonder if they would hold up to the shock that the cylinders take when plowing.
  3. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Do you just have the actuators? Or is there a control unit with them? How about attaching them to the plow? Are you going to be doing the fabbing, or paying to have the work done? And CT18fireman brings up a good point - are they intended for the abusive service of snowplowing?

Also, you say you have two of them - would you use them for the power angle and then a regular lift cylinder for the up/down?

Not trying to sound negative here, but I have a feeling you would be farther ahead to get the proper plow powerpack/controller/hydraulics: less hassle to install and you know it's designed for the job.

As a spare time project, using the actuators would probably be interesting but as a way to save $$$ on a plow lift unit, I don't think it'll be practical.
  4. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

I tried using an actuator on a plow for a large garden tractor, split the follower that runs on the threaded rod the first time I pushed hard. I'd say it's not even remotely worth messing with them for plow use. Just for reference a 1 1/2" swing cylinder generates over 1,700 lbs of push per 1,000 psi hydraulic pressure.
  5. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I guess that was shot in the a$$:(
  6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Nothing wrong with thinking out loud so to speak. That is the whole point of the site. Throw your ideas out and let us help you work them out. Keep them coming guys.