1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Line-X ing the Fenders and Rockers?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lynden-Jeff, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Hey,

Anyone done this? I bashed one of my fenders a tad and instead of a repaint I thought maybe a tough coat of Line-X all he way along the fenders and rockers would be a good idea. It is going to be an 8 inch or so strip including wheel wells, black on black with the linex-xtra coating.

Cheers
    Jeff

2. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

I've done it before on older trucks, it works great. :thumbsup: Just make sure to PREP PREP PREP!

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Well, which is it? Did you really bash it, or just a little dent? Actually, I think it's a great idea. I did a cheesy cab corner repair and the paint is coming off. I might do this.

4. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

I have never done a fender but I did one of my running boards. When I bought my truck the rubber strip was missing on top of one of the running boards and I could not find a replacement so I sprayed bedlines spray on it. That was over 2 years ago and it still looks like new. I also used it on my Back-rack, it seems tougher than paint but it has started to peel in a few spots. I just buy the sparay cans from Wal-mart.

5. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

good luck with it... I know the bed of my truck had that "crap" put on it, it was chipping and peeling away all the time and looked like crap, I sprayed the bed with undercoating and thru a plastic bed liner in... If it stays stuck on, and is shiny I think it would be alright.... I read your gonna get the xtra stuff.... Dont get the dull un shiny stuff... your truck is way to nice for flat black.....

6. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Ya this is linex it does not peel, chip, flake, or come off EVER or it is warrenteed for life. Ya the xtra makes it shiney and fade resistant. You probably had rhino liner, which is junk lol.

7. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Rhino liner is the same stuff, they have the solar-anti fade additive available too. You're probably thining of that crap Dupli-color pawns off as bed liner. it dries hard and non-rubbery.

8. pushinsnow87

pushinsnow87 Junior Member

Rhino liner is definatley not the same stuff, similar but not the same. My buddies truck has rhino liner and and my fathers truck has line x and the rhino liner has faded much more and seems to be getting smoother with time. The line x is holding up like a champ!

9. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

That seems like a pretty good idea, not sure how it would work though. I do plan to have my bed done soon hopefully.

10. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

the white truck has Rhino Liner on the bottom of the truck and also on the front and rear fenders and holding up great.

[​IMG]

11. Blazin

Blazin Senior Member

I use SEM brand spray on bed liner for rocker chip guard all the time. I have also done inner fenders in and out of the truck, rear wheel wells too.
    I have use a Rocker Shutz gun in the past, but I just bought a SEM bed liner gun a few weeks ago.

12. sp6x6

sp6x6 Member

I do inside my fenders on my Jeep with the spray can type from Napa woks well

13. Vplowed

Vplowed Junior Member
    from Midwest

If your line-x fails due to water and salt getting underneath it... like mine did on a new truck bed,,,GOOD LUCK getting them to warranty anything! It was my fault for not washing it! Line-x in Omaha,Nebraska would not stand behind their work. Good stuff until it fails. If it does its your fault. No debate. They preped it they applied it...my fault. Water should not get under this stuff. They actually even said they didnt apply it! :dizzy:

14. Rhino, Line-X, American, Gatorhide, etc etc etc - all decent spray-on products - but ALL of them are only as good as the prep work done prior to installation. I have installed 1/8" pure crap quality bedliner that lasted years because the prep was done correctly, and I have seen Line-X fail after 3 weeks because thier technician cut corners and got lazy with prep work.

If anyone is looking for spray on liner for any part of your vehicle - there is a buddy of mine on this forum who does it - his member name is Butcher - you can look him up or PM me for his phone number. Based out of Akron/Canton area but does mobile work if you have a warm place to park the vehicle while being worked on.

15. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

I did our old Jeep Cherekee along the bottom half with the brush on/roll on stuff you can buy at most auto parts stores/ farm fleet centers.

Sanded down some of the rusty areas, and made sure everything was clean.
    Put 2 coats on.

Looks 100% better. And has held up for several years with no change so far.

Jeep2.jpg