1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Line Lock Installation

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 400hp408sb, May 18, 2003.

1. 400hp408sb

400hp408sb Junior Member
    from Maine

I know you boys are gonna ask me why i'm bothering to install a line lock in an '87 4x4 truck. It saves on a lot of brake repairs after the burnout contests at the mud runs. Anyhoo, my question is this. Which line out of the master cylinder do I tap into to lock the front brakes. Any time i've ever bled my front brakes, the front resevior of the master cylinder has drained. And any time i've bled the rear brakes the rear resevior has drained. which would make me think to tap into the very forward resevior line. But, my buddy installed his line lock, tapped into the front res line and when engaged the rear brakes locked up instead of the front. He then tapped into the line nearest the firewall and the linelock worked correctly. I just have a hard time believing that is true. Could someone with experience in this area give me their .02 worth? I'd like to do the job right the first time :D

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Usually on a disc/drum setup,the line going to the larger reservoir is for the rear brakes.It sounds like you already know which one to tap. Ive always wanted to install a line lock,but I know if I do the tires wont last a month,Ill use it every chance I get:D .

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Usually the larger reservoir is for the FRONT brakes.This is necessary as the master cylinder displaces fluid into the calipers to compensate for brake lining wear.This requires a larger reservoir than the rear.

It is usually the rear line on the master cylinder that feeds the front brakes.This is where you would install your line lock.

Another option,which I have installed a few on mud trucks,is to use an adjustable proportioning valve to the rear brakes.This will allow you to add more rear brake.which will help it stop better,and to take out rear brake to allow you to do burnouts.

4. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

You could do two line locks to lock each front wheel seperatly allowing for good donuts.
    The line going to the front is larger as well for identifying it.

Which shows do you attend? I have been told about a big show in ME that has pulling contests with blocks of concrete and mud runs as well.
    I go to the Jamboree in VT every year which is fun, and plan on doing the burn out comp this year.

5. 400hp408sb

400hp408sb Junior Member
    from Maine

I just wanted to give you boys an update on how it went. I ended up tapping into the front resevior "furthest from power booster" which was the smaller diameter line of the two. It works great, the front wheels lock up and the rear wheels are free to burn and burn and burn. Joey, yes I attend the mud run you are referring to each year. Hunnewell Valley mud runs, it's a huge event with monster trucks, sand drags, deep mud bog, pulls, tug of war, and last but definitely not least, tough truck. Thanks for the help wyldman and john.

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Sweet! ,smoke em up :D

7. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

400hp, Do you have any dates for the truck show? Thanks.

8. 400hp408sb

400hp408sb Junior Member
    from Maine

This year hunnewell valley mud runs are from July 4,5,6. Which is a friday, saturday, sunday. Nothing ever happens friday except for maybe a dance and fireworks at night. No mud.

9. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

I found their site. Thanks for the info.
    I am mainly going for the truck pulling but my brother is going for the mud running.