1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Limited slip?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 78K20, Apr 25, 2003.

1. 78K20

78K20 Member
    from WV

My truck has a 14 bolt GM corporate with a limited slip? Does anyone know anything about it? Who makes it? It seems to me like it is more slip than it is limited. On dry pavement it acts like a locker when I turn hard because the inside wheel locks up and makes a chirpping sound? Thanks for the help:salute:
  2. camperspecial

camperspecial Junior Member

GM makes an additive for limited slip rear-ends. It works. Sounds to me like it is not slipping, but is locked in. When you turn, the wheels are turning at different speeds. Your diff isn't unlocking. The additive is not that expensive and stopped the same problem in my 74 with the 14 bolt. Also use the proper fluid. Too thick and you will have the same issue. Thicker is not always better.
  3. jimfulco

jimfulco Junior Member

This slow-turn inside wheel chirping is pretty much normal for a posi. With torque applied, the inside wheel tries to turn as fast as the outside, so it spins. My 72 Nova has done this for 170,000 miles, although it did it more when it was new.
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

I would pull the cover,to see what is actually in there.If it has clutches,then it is a limited slip.If it's that tight,I'd be happy,as most aren't,and don't work as well.If it's bothersome,you can add friction modifier,an ounce at a time until it gets better,and doesn't lockup or chatter when turning.Do a few figure eights in a parking lot to help distribute the additive each time.

If it has a gear type,or ratchet sytle locker,then this is normal.This is a great setup,and very reliable.It's meant to work this way.