1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Limited slip in front differential?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Albemarle Lawn, Nov 28, 2002.

1. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn Junior Member

I have available a brand new GM 8.5" Eaton limited slip unit I was going to use in the rear of a car project but never did.

My plow rig is a '89 Suburban 3/4, and it just happens that the Eaton is the correct match for the front of my Suburban.

Should I stick it in? Will I gain traction or just lose control?

Should I set it up tight (800 lb springs) or loose (400 lb springs)

2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

I can only offer speculation, as I've never had a locker up front. But,, what I think is that if you get both front wheels spinning in a low traction situation you will be unable to steer. A spinning wheel loses directional control, it will go sideways as easily as it will move in the direction it should. That's bad enouhg on the rear, I would think it would be hell to have that on the front.
  3. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

I loved mine

Had the exact same unit in my 1976 HI-Boy Ford 3/4 ton. I installed it and I absolutly loved it. When things got real icy, I'd put a set of chains on the front and had no problem going anywhere. Pushed a 9 ft Meyer plow for 7 years. :)
  4. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

i had an 84 k-20 that i used for plowing, and occasionaly took in the woods to go 4 wheeling. i put a powertrax locker in front for increased traction in the mud. never had any trouble with the front being locked up when plowing, or driving in the snow and ice.
    main thing when driving in bad weather , no matter what your driving is to not drive like a jack a$$.
  5. tecton

tecton Junior Member
    from WV

the otherday the roads iced over and i came down my street sideways...great fun :)
  6. WNY PAT

WNY PAT Member

Can't Steer

As someone else said... the problem you'll run into is that you won't be able to steer very effectively with equal power being sent to both front wheels. I drove an old Land Cruiser through a field once with a manual locker for the front and rear diff (would only go about 12 MPH). I decided to have some fun and locked both and went off in a wide sweeping turn toward a trail. If I gave it any gas at all w/ the steering wheel turned the wheel would just about rip my hands off and the Cruiser would create its own road. I would worry about that w/ a limited slip up front since you wouldn't know when it was going to lock up... maybe put a manual locker up front so you can engage and disengage as conditions warrant? Just my $.02...