1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Limited Labor for Salt only Events??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by MatthewG, Nov 27, 2011.

1. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe I’m asking a rhetorical question, but how do you dispatch labor for a salt only event? I certainly don’t need all my side walk crew or my skid steer operator.

Let me hear how you guys do it. I’m thinking I only need 50% of my man power, I can load the V box with the skid steer myself and we only really need 1-2 guys to spread calcium on the walks. Probably need the guys for 1 hour max, but maybe pay them for 2 to make it worthwhile for them.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Do it all yourself.
  3. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

You need more than one plan.
  4. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

You have to evaluate your plan before and after each event(storm) or at least I do, you can reasonably predict how much personal you will need on hand during any circumstance. (multiple plan method) Then depending on what comes up pick the plan that works best for that situation. I love this Business.
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like about 3 hrs of work,do it yourself,It's not even a money thing,by the time you call someone and wait to show up you could be done already.
  6. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

5.5 acres and limited sidewalks

The problem is the sidewalk salt and push spreader is on another truck I have the v box
  7. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

For the first two storms call everyone in and start cutting back the ones not working as hard. The last thing you want is to be under staffed, I would rather pound it out in 1 hour and give everyone a min 3, than take 4 and have a client as why it wasn't done if it was just spreading salt.
  8. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Different plans for different events. Different levels of personal needed for each type and level of events. We call it planning and operations the key to failure or success in this business.
  9. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

Do it yourself with one employee.

I'm sure you have a main guy that out performs the rest or has been with you the longest.

I sure wouldn't be calling in the whole crew to pay them for two hours when two of you could get up a bit sooner and have it done by the time the businesses opened.
  10. LI snowman

LI snowman Junior Member

I work as a subcontractor for another company doing all of their sidewalks. For salt only events, I pick up the icemelt at his shop and spread it myself. He is usually out at the same time in the salt truck.

If you need two trucks then I would defiantly say you run the salt truck then have another employee salt sidewalks. Its better to have help and get everything done quick then to have to fight to get everything done by yourself.