1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Limit per truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chris k, Sep 16, 2003.

1. chris k

chris k Senior Member

How does everyone decide the limit per truck. Each of my trucks has a route that for your average 3-5" storm will take 4-5 hrs. I am talking those storms where you can wait till its over...go out and plow everyone one pass and go home. How do you decide that you need to add another truck. These are also the trucks that the residential driveways. The commercial trucks are a little different because of the hours of the business, sanding, etc.
  2. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

I know this answer is probably way to simple for the question but I find its (Experience period). Some people have formulas they use I have just relied on experience. When I find one truck is falling behind I send out another. Remember each storm is different so formulas don't always work.
  3. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

I also have no formula i team two trucks together and divide the town in half if one team runs behind the other will help, We have a town about 15min from here that i leave one truck at for the season that truck takes care of all the accounts in that town and does resi work there. Two condo complexs one truck per condo each of those trucks carrys a blower crew for walks and porches, which leaves the jeep which we use for resi work later into the shift i usally or my brother jump in that because it works so much better in that type of plowing situation.

So the 4 big trucks are handling about 7hrs of work i suppose if you figured it out it would take 1 truck about 28hrs to do our commerical work i pretty much added trucks over the years has i took on more work we are really a little top heavy on trucks but its better to be than to risk break downs and not get the jobs done on time.

regards fred
  4. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

You also have to factor in the possibility of very heavy snowfall in short period of time. I remember 3 years ago that we had one storm that dumped 22" of snow, 14.5" of those snow fell in 3 hours! :eek: With that amount of snow, you without a doubt would have to plow more than once, during the storm. You can't just let it pile up to 2' before starting plowing or you could have problems.
  5. wyldman

wyldman Member

If you have experienced drivers in good equipment who can step it up a bit when the snow gets heavy,you can book a few more hours per truck.I normally run truck in pairs as well,or a loader and a pickup,and the routes normally run 6-7 hrs per truck.Having a spare truck,or backup subs will get you out of a bind.