1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'Lil Help

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Longae29, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

To start....I have close to no experience with driveways. I plow my own, thats it. The owner of some commercial properties also needs us to clear her driveway, I figured rubber cutting edge....would shoveling be better? Advice from anyone EXPERIENCED in this would be appreciated.

Pavershouse.jpg

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Looks like stamped concrete.It will leave some rust streaks on it. How old is it? I myself would plow it like any other drive way.

3. Longae29

Its not stamped concrete.... its bluestone type pavers....less than a year old.

4. grandview

Backdrag it to the street then start to plow the rest of it forward of that area.

5. Longae29

With a regular steel edge? or Rubber?

6. grandview

Unless you have 2 plows. I can see from the pix your going to be leaving scrape marks on the driveway and in the spring they will turn rusty.Can you just snowblow it,or is it to big?

7. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

IMO, taking a chance with steel is far too risky. Not sure if you're willing to dedicate a plow to rubber (but I'm sure you've thought those logistics through if you're considering it), but I would consider a UHMW edge instead. It will last far longer, scrape better, shouldn't damage anything in those pics or streak, and you could use it in a bind on other sites if you really need to. "Snocrete" uses alot of these edges for a few years now, maybe he'll chime in with more in-depth info.

Also, I've bought the material relatively cheaply in the past at Midland Plastics in New Berlin:
    http://www.midlandplastics.com/srtd_polyolefins.htm

8. Longae29

Thanks for the input. We already have the job (at a good rate....plus the other work, which is what we really wanted, this was just a "bonus") I already priced a rubber cutting edge, not too bad. I guess we will have to dedicate a plow to the rubber, and just use it on specific applications (nice smooth parking lots?), other than this driveway to try and prolong the life. I will check out UHMW from our suppliers,

Midland Plastics is a former customer of ours....i'll check that out as well. Thanks.

9. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I would say poly edge as well. I've run into those situations a few times, gotta plow the owners house, no matter where or how big of a PITA it is, you gotta keep them happy because of the commercial stuff they give you. I honestly don't know why driveways are ever constructed like that in snow regions, just make a nice concrete drive.:dizzy:

PS.....Grandview, I can't believe you thought that was stamped concrete! You don't get out much do you?:D

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  10. grandview

We have stamped around here you don't see many flagstone here.

11. Longae29

But why do concrete when you can have pavers done super cheap?.....and then pay double what you paid to have them taken out and re-installed by a professional :dizzy:

this picture should actually be a "how many things can you find wrong"

quality.jpg

12. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

:laughing: That's why I'm calling it quits.

13. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Holy shiat!? WTF is wrong with people.

14. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Get some 1.5 or 2in thick UHMW polythylene...you'll be happy you did. It wont make much difference for everything else you do with the plow....but will save you from causing any scratching or rust stains on those nice stones. Also it causes much less resistance than rubber.....or even polyurethane.

Currently I'm running some UHMW on a skid plow & 1 pusher...but have ran it on backplows, truck plows, buckets, etc....great stuff in the "right application", and cheaper than rubber or polyurethane.

Edit: I was just thinking....every single snow shovel we pulled out of storage 2day is uhmw material.

15. potskie

potskie Senior Member
    from Ontario

I wonder how long until that wall is in the driveway...

16. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

I like how they only put wall caps on the front couple block. lol

Just did a re-take!! lol The caps they did put on are on wrong!! lol

17. Longae29

Shockingly the wall isn't leaning yet. Somehow. There's no sign of glue or polymeric sand anywhere on the site.

I.tried prolonging giving a bid for as long as possible...its for a $1200/push new customer that is leaning towards hiring us. He wasnt happy with the cost. He thought it was a real easy fix.....there's no gravel to be seen....we need to start over .....

18. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

Way off topic....

19. phillie

phillie Member
    from indy

I would hate for that to be my sidewalk in the second pic. They make me feel drunk just looking at them.