1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lil help with on overheating 6 litre chev.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by snowcrazy, Feb 6, 2013.

1. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Well, Ive had problems with this truck getting hot under transport ever since Ive put the plow on it. This truck is a 2004 6.0 litre gas truck with a snow dogg ex85 plow.

When it first started to overheat I did a search here and it seemed that the extra heavy duty clutch for the fan was the answer. I got one, didnt do the trick

Next I bought the plow flow master spoiler deal. Tried setting that thing in several different positions and simply no results.

Soooooo I decided to have some electric fans installed. I thought that for sure would be the answer. I use a toggle switch to turn the puller fans on (clutch fan still mounted)...... those fans don't have hardly enough pull to make a piece of paper stick to the front of the grill...........

Heres the deal, once it starts to get hot I pull over and temp is around 240-250........ I sit for a minute while truck is running and finally the clutch fan will come on...... The temp guage drops to 190 within a minute............

No matter where I angle the plow, up or down side to side I just cannot get the air to blow through the grill to get the hot air to the front of the spring on the clutch fan.

The vacuum that is created by the plow is rediculous. Here is how i found this out. The beginning of winter I put plow on just to make sure everything was working correctly. I was driving down the road and noticed a steam of some sort being sucked OUT OF THE GRILL, AND UP AND OVER MY TRUCK...... absolutely none of this got on my windshield!!!! I stopped at the gas station thinking radiator hose. Under inspection I realized it was an air conditioning hose that blew and it was refrigerant liquid that came out the grill. Where the hose gave out was well back in the engine compartment and the hole wasnt even facing out the front of the grill. It just got SUCKED out.

Today, just for giggles I turned on my electric fans and placed a mcdonalds receipt out on the grill........... at about 40mph the receipt flew up and almost levetated above the plow for a second and then poof! blew right over my truck which tells me thats what the air is doing.

Ive tried so much and don't know what to do next. I know there is no restrictions with anitifreeze etc because if and when the clutch fan does come on the temp drops like a rock to normal but down the road I just can't get any air through the radiator.

any advice would be awesome. I thought about just putting a stationary mounted fan on it. No clutch just when the truck is running the fan is turning with the speed of the engine. Im just scared this is going to EAT my fuel mileage!! But it may still be a better solution to torching a motor......

2. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

not sure if it would work, but being a ford fan myself, (fords are better and sit higher), maybe a lift would do something? That way you'd lower the plow more.

3. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

it is the fan clutch. do a search on here and you will find the exact part number needed from gm.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

i have heard that a plow deflector works as well
    not 100% sure but isnt there another fan as well as the clutch??
    can look into a colder thermastat
    assuming you cked the front of the rad, condenser, and everything up front??
    when was the last time you did a total system flush??? like pull off all the hoses and run a garden hose in there??

5. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

I would consider not using a fan clutch at all, just a locked fan that runs at whatever speed the engine runs. As I understand it, clutch fans don't run full speed even when engaged.

Sounds like his truck is plenty hot enough to open any thermostat already.

6. dieselss

But a colder tstat will open sooner rather than at 200 or whenever its set right now

7. Greenstar lawn

Greenstar lawn Senior Member

My 04 2500hd just started having this is this yr with the plow on. I put a new water pump, thermostat, and fan clutch in and it still will have over heating issues. Never had this problem before with it. Also for some reason my fan is rubbing against the shrout

8. dieselss

Fan on the shroud is b/c your motor mounts are bad. Replace them ASAP!!

9. Greenstar lawn

I tried to look for them but couldn't find them. To replace them do it have to jack up motor?

10. dieselss

Your motor mounts?? You can't find them??
    Gotta jack it up to replace them yes

11. Greenstar lawn

Well I should of said I couldn't tell if they were bad or not. But the fan is rubbing on the passenger side of shrout.

12. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Thats what Im looking into doing is the locked fan but scared of what that will do to fuel mileage.... I love these trucks for sure but ive known a lot of ppl having trouble with overheating with a plow on the 6.0 chevys......

Do you think fuel mileage will get hurt having to spin that fan ALL THE TIME instead of a clutch type.. I sure would think so...... Be better than torching a motor is my thinking.

13. dieselss

Yes fuel mileage will drop. But your plowing so what does it matter?? And maybe a little give and take,,,,mileage verses overheating??
    Green shoot me a pm

14. theholycow

I don't think fuel economy will be affected in any way you can actually notice in your truck with the work it does. I suspect it will be more noisy, though.

That talk of the shroud above reminds me: Is your shroud in good shape? A missing or broken shroud can result in exactly the symptoms you describe.

15. dieselss

If the fan hits the bottom of it,,,,its motor motor mounts.

16. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

How about tweak the fan clutch to engage sooner? Rebend the bimetal spring a little longer IE move the bend as 1/8 toward the end. I've used this with success on my 6.5 diesel.

17. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Ive got a plow deflector in my garage I bought about 2 months ago and installed.. It didnt work....

as for another fan, I added electric fans but they just don't suck hard enough. You can stick your hand in front of the grill and barely feel any air being pulled through. When my clutch fan does in fact come on and you rev motor it sounds like a dump truck its moving so much air. Its just getting it to come on im having trouble with.......

t-stat change wouldnt work. if nothing is cooling the system it just gonna keep rising..

had full system flush last year and all that stuff mentioned above is clean.....

here is something for everyone to think about. just to show that all of this stuff on my truck is working correctly..... my truck got hot on the last snowfall. I had my backpack blower in the back of the truck. I pulled over and blew through the grill and within about 30 seconds my clutch fan came on.............. Water temp fell like a rock and I was on my way. Its the air flow im not having luck with. There is nothing wrong with my clutch fan, it is brand new as of last year replaced with the item number listed here on plowsite. It is the severe/extreme duty clutch fan!

18. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

No shroud parts missing at all.

Yeah if this were a plow only truck I could care less about the fuel mileage.. It is also my daily driver, also pulls my enclosed trailer daily during mowing season... Id just hate to get 2mpg less every day because i go with this solid mount fan.

I could care less about the noise. I think it sounds good when the fan does engage.... Matter of fact when I have an overheating truck its music to my ears!!! LOL

19. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

I will try anything, and willing to try this....... can you explain how to do it though. Im not following your directions above. can i cut some of the coil off perhaps???

20. theholycow

2MPG would be 15%. You're not going to lose 15% of your fuel economy just from the fan. However, you could swap it out for winter/summer.

That sounds like a defective clutch (even though it's new), it should come on when it's hot not when you cool it down...unless you're exceeding the temperature that the clutch is made for but I imagine they put plenty of margin into the design.