1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lil help here (after you catch up on sleep!) Boss rt3

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by viniferaguru, Dec 7, 2013.

1. viniferaguru

viniferaguru Junior Member

I have an older ( 7 year old ) boss rt3 - not being cooperative

I have got power to the lights on the plow
    The solenoid clicks when I attempt to raise and move plow
    I cleaned all connections and grounds
    I have had it work VERY slowly for a moment.. then nothing

sound like a pump motor?
    I am just not sure how to check relay blocks or the valves on the plow.
    I have a multimeter .. I am somewhat mechanically inclined.. electrically

if its a motor; any special techniques to replace? or is it plug and play?

Thanks for any input.. Cheers! (hope you all are stacking the cash right now)

2. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

Is the motor running when you move the control? Are you sure there is fluid in it and its not frozen?

3. viniferaguru

viniferaguru Junior Member

the fluid seems to be at the appropriate level ( the side "check" valve ) .. I am a lone wolf for the most part so I haven't been able to test that theory about the motor.. sorry to sound stupid but will I hear the motor running with someone moving the control- or do I put my hand on it to "feel it" -- Thanks Clark

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

5. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

You could jump the solenoid and see if the motor runs. If it does you have a bad solenoid. If not you need to check for power at the motor. If there is power to the motor and the ground is good you have a bad motor. Jump the solenoid with care, use a big wire. High amp draw. Or find a helper to hold the controls on and use a test light.