1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

like or dislike?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ultimate lawns, Feb 2, 2003.

1. ultimate lawns

ultimate lawns Member

hey guys,
    I was wondering? I use a 7 1-2 foot Western and a 7 1-2 foot
    poly western. Does any body like Western anymore? lol
    I hear some people dont like the uni-mounts. I find that they
    work excelent! Been using the 7 1-2 footer's for 4 year's. And other's before. Never used a fisher or boss yet. Just looking for some good input.
    Thanks,

Ultimate Lawns and More,

2. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

I was very happy with my Western on my full size Blazer, with a straight axle up front. (not a uni mount). Once I got into the new style GM pickups that ride lower up front, I just could not handle how low the Western mounts go. I did quick check in the dealer lot and it looked like the Fisher mounts were up higher an extra 2 inches. Also on the new Western headgear, I saw more bolting with formed tubing, vs. structural steel and welding. I miss the Western scrape though.

Just my .02. I have never actually run a uni / ultra mount on an independent suspension GM.

3. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

I have a Uni-Mount Western and love it. Never lets me down and always works flawlessly. Mike :drinkup:

4. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

i think it all comes down to personal preference. and also what you are used to plowing with. it's hard to tell people that thier plow is "junk", or "this type of setup would be better/faster"

to each his own, i guess

for me, i like my westerns, but i think all the setups have thier good and bad sides.

5. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I love my Western UniMount. I've never really had any problems with it and it has never let me down during a storm. The only thing I'm not crazy about is how low the mount hangs down compared to other plows, but I'm more then willing to live with it and would definitly get another Western.

6. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I have had my uni-mount for four years. only problem was a headlight relay that went bad. didn't have any high-beams for one storm. oh, well could have been worse. I love my poly blade, the snow rolls off it great. Like always, it's personal pref., avail parts, etc. but if I had to buy another set-up tomorrow I get the same thing I have now

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

No problems here with the uni-mounts either.Only problems we had were with the stupid hairpins falling out or getting pushed out by ice or snow.We have since switched to lynch pins and no more problems.

8. DanG

DanG Senior Member

No problems that were major with any of mine. Just filter plugged up once and had to replace the nine pin connector(both sides) for the wiring on one.
    Broke the a frame on one in a accident too but that was due to the telephone pole guide wire stopping my dead from 50 mph.

Dan

9. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

We have 2 western MVPs and 2 western 9' unimounts that plow with us. Non of them have ever let us down. The uni mount is strong, but way to many pins and clips, roate the stand up and so on and so forth. But given all that, I like them, and since we have uni mounts now, I try and keep them all the same. In fact I am looking for a uni mount frame kit for a 86 chevy.
    Dino

10. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

I have three Western Uni-mount plows. I have never had any major repairs needed to any of my units. In fact my first Uni-mount plow, the dreaded sport utility plow, that I bought in 94 finally popped its first hose! Thats the first hose on any of my Westerns! Other than that, just some fluid and some TLC, keeps them working like new.

My Snoway however, has been in the shop 4 times, for major repairs, in the last three years. With the total cost of repairs, I could have bought anouther Western!

I still like the versitility of the Snoway, that is why I still have it!

Chuck B

11. A.L. Inc.

A.L. Inc. Member

Western

I have had good luck with mine so far. I went with the Westerns because my mechanic is a Western dealer and is a good friend of mine. They are open all night during storms but I haven't had any real failures. They are busy fixing the broken Meyer plows, anyway.;) Mike

12. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

I don't think that people were complaining about the performance of the plow itself for the most part. Some of us with chevy's were complaining of the ultramount sitting too low to the ground. I honestly don't think there is anything that western can do about it. The chevy's just sit too low. Other than that, I love my Ultramount.:waving:

13. kawdude

kawdude Senior Member

I got an old dinosaur mount but love it works well

14. dillyolboy

dillyolboy Member

I think the plow is reliable and built good enough. It rolls snow just fine. Stacking is another issue. I guess it is what you compare it to. The old ones with the long A frames work way better. I think the whole mount sits too close to the ground and way too close to the front of the truck. I have a hard time stacking the snow higher than the cab with mine. Not that we've had any snow this year.

mulchmonkey- right on with the chevys. Some of those trucks look like they couldn't ride over a speed bump.

15. wyldman

wyldman Member

If you want it to stack a bit higher,you can cut the stops off the light\pump tower assy.There are two triangular shaped pieces welded on,to stop the plow from going higher while stacking.Take measurements first,to make sure the plow will not hit anything in your particular apllication,then cut them off.You will have to reroute the hose to behind the light\pump tower so they won't get pinched.

16. DMAN

DMAN Junior Member

Chuck B,

How come you don't like the sport utility plow?? I just purchased one for my jeep and haven't used it more thn once. Any thing i should look out for or any plowing tips for my 95 wrangler as i do strickly residentials. Thanks for your response.

Dman

17. DMAN

DMAN Junior Member

Chuck B,

How come you don't like the sport utility plow?? I just purchased one for my jeep and haven't used it more thn once. Any thing i should look out for or any plowing tips for my 95 wrangler as i do strickly residentials. Thanks for your response.

Dman

18. Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto Member

I vastly prefer the Western's blade design over Meyers. The Meyers bracing hold salt, leading to rust out and breakage (had this happen). The uni-mount I could live without, I preferred the old style where the pump stayed on the truck.

19. tnt69tnt69

tnt69tnt69 Member

I use to have a fisher on my old truck and now have a western ultramount and love it. They back drag much better and it has to be the easiest and fastest mount and dismount I have seen.

20. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

i started my biz with a meyers but i soon changed to westerns.i had the uni-mounts well the ones before that style for years then when my fleet started getting old i decided to get new westerns with the ultra mounts.i love them great plows.i also have a fisher but i don't use it.mostly everyone around me has meyers but im starting to see more and more westerns out there.