1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

LIke all the others New to the Biz......

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ATCPLOWS, Nov 21, 2006.

ATCPLOWS Junior Member

Hi everybody....

Hi Doctor Nick....

Anyway, there is a forum for every possible money making scheme these days. Thank God because I would have to do a hell of a lot of leg work by myself. So Hi and I hope we get some snow soon so we can all make some fat cash.

I have a 4x4 Chevy Silverado 1999. It isnt the worst truck we have in the yard but it has taken a beating. I guess I dont even know where to start. A management company called me today and asked if we would plow some small commercial properties for them at $70 per push. Does this seem like a fair fee for 2" of snow?

I am not sure what plow to get on the front of the truck. Any suggestions? Also, what ballpark am I looking at in terms of getting the plow and labor to install?

Finally, With this type of deal I do not want to overextend myself because we are looking at future tree care contracts with this company and I dont want to look foolish jumping into the North Atlantic without at least a life jacket. Sure I might freeze to death but I want to float home.

Thanks in advance for any info....

2. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Well, we need to know more information.

How big are the lots? How long will it take?

Is it $70 per push, per lot, per storm?

Who's insurance is going to cover you? Special insurance is needed for snowplowing.

A small truck with a 7'6" blade should be able to make $70 an hour quite easily if you have to provide your own insurance.
  3. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

70 and hour sounds right if thats what ur talking....

now for blade there are all different types u chose make sure u pick one with an amazing dealer 7'6'' would be perfect...if u buy used it will cost around 4-5 hundred to get in installed around my parts that is....

good luck with everything
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Depends on where you are I guess as far as the cost of a used plow. Four hundred or so would be for the installation. I'd say you could expect the plow itself to cost about $2000 for a decent used one or $4000 for a new one. Be sure to have liability insurance showing plowing snow as a covered activity. I'd imagine that the vehicle itself is registered as Commercial.

Unless you are familiar with plows, I'd really suggest getting new equipment.
  5. spittincobra01

spittincobra01 Senior Member

I agree with MICK, if you are new to this then don't waste your time and eventually more money than a new one would cost on a used plow. Older units will require more maintenance, are more difficult to remove/put on, and when they break... they usually break on the expensive side

ATCPLOWS Junior Member

Thanks for the advice on the plow. Does anyone do work "by the push"? The contract with a management company states "by the Push". I am looking at a plow in NH because of the lower price. I will check on the liability insurance. I am also looking at putting in our paperwork with the state of MA. Does anyone work for the state out there that could give me advice on this aspect?

Also, plows seem to break on the expensive side. What brand of plow do you recommend? Also, being seasoned veterans what accesories would you recommend we purchase.

ATC plows
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Yes, a lot of us plow 'by the push" which simply means "every time I plow your lot, driveway etc it will cost this much" I have some set up for a set amount regardless of how much snow falls within a 24 hour period, some are so much for 3" to 6", over 6" to 9", over 9" to 12, then so much for every inch over 12". Others are set up for 2" to 6", then so much an inch over 6". It just all depends on a variety of factors, such as the size of the area, travel distance, level of service expected etc.

As far as brand, they all have good and bad points. Basically decide if you want hydraulic or manual angle and containment of the snow or not. With new, you are going to get what you pay for. More money = more features. As far as accessories, I'd suggest you get the basic plow first, find out what accessories are available for that plow, then later decide what is going to benefit you enough to be worth it. Most add-ons (wings, foils etc) can be added with little to no extra cost than doing it when you buy it new. With a new purchase (I just bought a brand new 8' plow), I wouldn't even be concerned with emergency parts. I did put a cutting edge on it, but most don't until they wear the edge down a couple inches. If I blew a line or broke a pin on my new plow, somebody would be having this whole plow (A-frame included) jammed somewhere unnatural. Next Spring, you will want to drain hydraulic fluid and put in new, but you can buy what you need then. Actually, some suggest waiting until Fall for changing the fluid so it's fresh and didn't collect moisture over the Summer.

ATCPLOWS Junior Member

In terms in cab controls. Do you prefer the joystick or the keypad? It seems to me that the joystick would be of benefit but might break easier.

I am going to get lights on the plow. Is it cheaper to go aftermarket? I will have to ask the dealer if the wiring harness is already connected or if I have to wire it myself if I go that route.

Any brands on light you have found to be a little more economical?
  9. spittincobra01

spittincobra01 Senior Member

if you are going to come to NH for a plow, I would recommend Donovan Equiptment in londonderry. That is where I got my 8' fisher minute mount. The joy stick is very easy to use, and hasn't broken on me yet... you can request they leave enough wire with it that you can hold it like the key pad. They are great for answering questions, and I haven't had to have them service anything, but I hear they are great. as for per push, it's the only way I work. I do modify my contract for certain jobs but it's typicly 3-6" this, 6-9" this, 9-12" this and on.
  10. heavy detroit

heavy detroit Junior Member
    from Livonia

new plow

I paid about $4900 for an 8-2 boss v plow installed. They are about $1000 more than a straight blade but i have heard they are well worth it.