1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JET enterprises, Oct 16, 2005.

1. JET enterprises

JET enterprises Senior Member

i was just wondering what type of lights people run on top and for back up lights and which ones you guys think r the best?
  2. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Well I think you posted this in the wrong forum but for a warning light I use a Highlighter with a clear dome and amber filters. I just put some backup lights on my truck friday. I just went to the auto store and bought some driving lights, hooked them up to a relay with 12 volt power. Man they are bright. I can get some pics if you want.
  3. JET enterprises

JET enterprises Senior Member

hahah my bad couldnt figure out which one to put it in
    what should i put it in?

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

i like strobe with blue filters
  5. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

I like bright lights that work every time I pull the trigger.
  6. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Whelen Mini-Edge, and halogen, tractor type for backup mounted uder the bed on the frame.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
  7. curty85

curty85 Junior Member

RideHard, what does a relay do for you?? I hooked my trapezoid backup lights strait to the OEM wire and mounted on the rear bumper corners. You are the third person I have heard mount a relay in line with auxiliary lights.
  8. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Well I tried tapping into the trailer harness but when I did that the lights weren't that bright and dimmed the factor reverse lights. (too much draw) I ran a 12 volt line from the battery to the back of truck and hooked it into the relay back there. You then run a wire from the relay to the reverse lights. This acts as a trigger to excite the relay. This basically puts the lights on their own circuit so there is no dimming or overloading.
  9. ProEnterprises

ProEnterprises Senior Member
    from CT

this is VERY VERY VERY important. DO NOT just tap into the revser wire and run it off that, IT WILL BLOW THE FUSE! I did this last year, it overloaded, and blew a string of fuses, including the one that powered the starter, BIG PROBLEMS. USE A RELAY!