1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lights

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by frndinalowplace, Feb 8, 2005.

1. frndinalowplace

frndinalowplace Senior Member
    from 7hills

i see alot of plowers driven around with there regular driven lights on n e of u guys do it and y do u

2. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

I assume you mean the regular headlights of the vehicle? I almost never use the plow lights because on my Jeep the headlights are pretty high and they easily shine over the top of the plow and they're ten times brighter.

3. BJH Snow

BJH Snow Senior Member

I usually, have my Truck Headlights on when plowing. I get more light from them at night. During the day I leave my plow lights on. I did install some fog lights onto my plow lights and toggled them inside my truck for some extra light in the middle of the night. It works great.

4. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

Well this is one reason....

bad.jpg

Last edited: Feb 9, 2005
  5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I hit a bump and my driver's side head light assembly fell of it's perch like a head shot bird! Knew I carried a few rolls of electrical tape for a reason.

6. frndinalowplace

frndinalowplace Senior Member
    from 7hills

k thats what i thought the reason was that it didnt give enough light out we bought some silverstars for the nightsabers they are awsme we also have silverstars in the regular headlight

7. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

The way I see it, is that if your plow doesn't hide your truck headlights in the raised position, they are kind of a waste. I have a set and have never hooked them up on this truck. I like the idea of fog lamps or running lights in them, to me they would be of more use, but my truck is raised and my plow doesn't hide my headlights. Or put strobes in them.

8. danmc

danmc Member

Here in New Jersey if your plow is on you have to use your plow lights. It's the law...

9. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

Headlights

I ran the plow with truck AND plow lights on. The wiring harness was from different truck and was direct wired into the headlights. I think I am going to start unplugging the headlights on the new truck as I seem to be having some charging problems, but for now it seems fixed. I have now bought the wiring for the new truck, but am waiting to put them on til I get more time.

Jeff

10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Night sabers would be nice to have but, I am not going to pay the $260 some dollar price for them. I can replace my lights for half that. I ran into a set of Fisher old style lights,they look like they came off a 50's era pickup,big tear drop housing, full size round head lights. I had to resist the urge to buy them.

11. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

There is a world of difference between wiring and switching of the old Truck Lights plow lights and the Saber lights. The old system uses a toggle switch to select truck and plow lights.

The Saber uses 2 fused relays and plug in wiring harnesses. If there is a short in the plow lights the fuse in the relay blows. You have to replace the relay. If the light leaks causing the light to blow then it can short out taking out your relay. I just replaced one this week.

Dave

12. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

i use my regular headlights because they dont bounce as much and i dont have to reset them every snowfall .My plow lights are on two switches ,one for low beams and one for high beams i put them in that way on purpose.I use the plow lights if the blade covers my regular headlights and use the plow lights for turn signals.