1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snoluvr, Oct 11, 2004.

1. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

Just seeing what everyone is using for lighting. I just did an install of a Nova hide away system, have a 360 amber for my back rack, and looking into a dash light. WHat arer you guys doing?? Just I thought I would start a new one...
  2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I just have a dual rotator for the back rack. More than enough. :waving:
  3. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

Hey Boss, if we stopped with what was enough we would all have regular jobs and not want to plow!!haha..My buddy just installed his dash, and two grille lights..LEDs they look great. More than enough but they do look good.
  4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I would love to have a dash light and a bunch of strobes but that gets expensive and I want to try an be gentle on the electrical system. If I could find a cheap set of hideaways, I might buy them. Any suggestions?
  5. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

I use www.strobesnmore.com. it is owned by a fire chief in RI. They have always shipped my order same day via UPS. My hideaway set is from a company called NOVA electronics. They offer a 5 year warranty on the power supplies.Everyone else is a 2 year. I bought a 6 head system, 60 watt supply for $199.00..check them out..every type of lighting you can imagine.
  6. Strobesupply

Strobesupply Junior Member

Special Packages coming soon for Plowsite.com guys more...

Since we have just become sponsors here at Plowsite.com, we are going to run a special sale for members of Plowsite. We are putting together some special package deals that will include many different lighting options. If anyone has any ideas as to what type of packages that you would like to see, or what type of packages would work best for snow plowing, I would love the input. Sale will begin on Monday the 18th, I will post more details later this week.

Nancy :)
  7. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

I have had a few lighting set ups...Currently I have 2. The first one is on my chevy 3500 dump truck. I have a Federal Signal Vista Lightbar 44inch with five rotators 3 fast speed 2 medium speed..4 front spot lights at 50 watts each..2 front alternating lights..2 corner Vista Ray Intersecting lights that sweep at a 90 degree angle..2 side alley spot lights.....And on the corners of the rear of the dump I have Oval Federal Signal LEDs enclosed in black steel boxs. My seconed set up on my dodge consists of just a whelen mini edge 9m four strobe lightbar.

I also have some lights I am trying to sell..
    Slightly used code 3 mini 420 lightbar amber with magnets and cord/plug $75.00

Slightly used Federal Signal amber highlighter with magnets and cord/plug..$75.00

Federal Signal model 100 rotating amber beacons the fast speed 175 flashers per minute. I have two of these...Brand new I will let these go for 50.00 each..
  8. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

How about a 4pack of the led wic 3s. I would like the amber/red splits please :waving:
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2004
  9. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

I am going to install hideaways a long with putting a new roof light on. Have not fully decided on the roof light yet but need to this week.
  10. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

I have a whelen csp690 with strobes in my parking and tail lights, and a whelen edge9m 52" lightbar with 6 strobes, 4 flashers, takedowns, rear worklights, and alleys. I also have two sho-me leds on my back bumper facing out to the side, and a whelen dual led for my dash. I think thats enough but my friend who is a firefighter keeps giving me more ideas so I know more on are on the way. :drinkup:
  11. HereToLearn

HereToLearn Member

I'm looking to purchase a back rack and light. I've looked around on ebay and truck accessory places. Best price I can find is $219 for the rack and $69 for a light. I'm not too familiar with brands and prices, this is my first year plowing. I don't want to get screwed on a POS or pay an outrageous price. I don't want the round orange light, I would rather the rectangular looking one.

Hey strobe supply: I'm on your website right now looking at your products. Please Email me, reply to this post, or PM me. I would be interested in seeing what you can do for me. Thanks
  12. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

I am running a Whelen Guardian 2 rotor mini bar and 2 sealed beam work lights all mounted on a backrack. Soon to add 2 auxiliary halogen backup lights mounted to the hitch.

I woud love to add a couple amber strobes at the rear since when I plow my back yard I am backing out into a street with a lot of heavy truck traffic. I almost got whacked there twice last year.
  13. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

I have a set of hide-A-way strobes with a 90 watt power supply, arrow stick on the headache rack, 4 tube mini edge bar on the top. Seems to be enough. pumpkin: :cool: BOAST
  14. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

Heres a noob question but why all the extra lights? i can see back up lights but do things really get that bad in storms where you need a lot of extra lighting? What are the strobes for? Safety? Law?
  15. eng50

eng50 Senior Member

Strobesupply, will be looking for those specials, perhaps post a special section for them? If you can PM or email me as well re: lighting needs.

Thank you!

16. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

I think most of us have all the "extra" lights, due to the fact that we are driving around a 8 or 9 thousand pound piece of steel with a huge piece of steel hanging on the front..Many of us are probably into these for over $30-35 thousand.I know i am..why not have the assurance of extra visibility.As it is everyone is too busy on cell phones to pay attention.
  17. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

ok but you'll be plowing so more then likely traffic won't be bad and not many will be able to go fast in order to not see you plowing even at night. What are the strobes for?
    I'm asking because if you need strobes to plow then i will get some. I know DOT always uses them when they work but I'm not sure that relates to us.
  18. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

I have all the lights for safety, my own primarily! I want all those people that are enjoying the pretty pretty snow to be able to see me when I am on the road or in the parking lot that they are in a hurry to get in. Like snoluvr said, people are to busy to pay attention. I have a lot of money and time invested in my trucks & I want to protect them the best that I can. I think that if you check with your local insurance agent they will probably require you to have a warning light. I believe that the law states that a snow plow truck operating in hazardous conditions must have a warning light displayed. I dont know but I bet we will find out by this afternoon why we have all these lights. Come on guys tell everybody why we have these lights. pumpkin: BOAST
  19. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

DOT uses these lights to get your attention..The lights do right??!!!
    I drive a truck over 2,000 miles per week. You would not believe what I see happening.People are so preoccupied with the cell phone, the pretty snow like boast said, and some are actually reading while driving!!! I am putting the amber strobes in the rear of my over the road truck, so when making a stop, people are more likely to see me sitting there.Why do you think fire trucks use them..You would think people would notice a 40 foot piece of steel hurling through traffic, but it is the lights people notice. Just as cars have day time driving lights..plus can anyone say all the lights dont look good??!~!!
  20. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Considering that I just got this truck last December you better bet that I am going to have has many lights on it that I can get. As stated before to many distractions out there for drivers. Especially in parking lots.