1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lights worked now they don't

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Dstosh, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

So, I took my pump off of my unimount, to change the fluid, and To do so I took the wires off of the coils for the lights, and now they dont work after I hooked them back up. I have a pasenger and drivers parking light and a drivers parking light. The drivers tail is a steady burn. I have power in two of the nine pins on the truck.

Any suggestions?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

So your plow head lights don't work?
    Do the coils/valves work?
    Did you re connect the small black/orange wire that grounds all the coils back on to the motor ground (where the large motor ground cable is)?
  3. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Right the plow headlights dont work.

I tested the coils for resistance all were about 6.7 ohms. Which I understand is an acceptable range.

I did reconnect all the all the black wires with grounds and the green, white and blue wires to the coils.

I cleaned the ground contact on the motor where the others are.

The only thing that changed is that I replaced the motor, and I had to run a jumper ground cable.
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ok, do the coils work?
    Does the black/orange wire actually have ground if you check with a test light?

That black and orange ground wire end's up back to the truck through the grill connector to ground the plow light relay's...I can pretty much guarantee you that's why they aren't working... you just now have to figure out if the black/orange wire in fact has ground or not and if it doesn't, why? It should have been grounded to the same grounding point that the heavy black battery cable ground was attached to...
  5. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Im not sure how to check for a ground with a test light, Hook it up and then touch to the positive terminal on the battery?

Like I said, The ground should be ok, I cleaned it of with a wire wheel, I suppose i will test the individual connectors and see if those are ok.

I dont know if the coils work, I would imagine they do I tested them per the directions on the western site.

I am only getting power to two the white/orange wire, and a brown wire comming of the truck if that helps.
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, hook the wire on the test light to the positive battery post and then touch the orange/black wire with the tip of the tester.. if the wire has ground it will light the tester.

Yea, it should be..but until you actually check it with a test light..we don't know for sure.
    .I'm sure the coils aren't defective...I just meant that if they didn't work, I'd bet it was due to the fact that they didn't have ground either (just like the headlight relays)

Do you have BOTH the grill connectors plugged in? Just checking...
  7. wishingtoplow

wishingtoplow Member
    from Pa

B and B makes a good point. If you only have the 9 pin connector plugged in you get nothing for plow headlights. Made that same mistake last night.
  8. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

No, I do have both plugged in. I will test the grounds tonight.

Thanks for your help.

9. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

From where to where?

Are you sure that you put the black/orange wire that comes from the coils to the ground terminal at the motor?
  10. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Got her fixed today. The relays were toasted. My bro will probably put a picture up. Thanks for all of the help.