1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lights work buy no control power

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by cquelette, Jan 12, 2015.

1. cquelette

cquelette Junior Member
    from 60440

I have no power to my controller. My headlights come on when i plug my plow in but there is no power to my controller. I used the controller on a different truck and it worked fine. The 6 pin adapter for the controller had some corrosion so i cut the wire and tested it for power and got noting. I believe its red and yellow. I also checked the 3 Pin adapter at grill and it seems only 2 of the 3 pins have power. Is the other a ground? Im lost! Im not sure if I have a bad wire and need a new harness or if the module is bad. Hopefully someone can help

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The red / yellow wire going to the controller comes from the isolation module and you are correct that this should be hot when the ignition is on. However, the iso module will not forward power to that wire unless the ignition wire is being powered. Follow the controller harness back under the dash about a foot from the controller plug where you will find a red wire that separates from the main harness. That red wire should go to the fuse box or some other ignition power source. Check that out because if that wire is disconnected the plow lights will come on when the plow is connected but the controller will not light up. Exactly what you describe. Look at page 15 of the link DieselSS sent you above. That is assuming you have a straight blade with three plugs at the grill and a three port isolation module.

4. cquelette

cquelette Junior Member
    from 60440

the red wire is connected to a fuse. Im assuming its a good connection. It did get disconnected before because i accidentally knocked it with my foot. Whats a good way to test that wire to see if its a good connection. Is it hot?

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

If the fuses you have taped into it powered.

6. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

A 12V test light or voltmeter....