1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lights wont work

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by joeco129, Jan 21, 2009.

1. joeco129

joeco129 Senior Member

On last storm the other day my plows light did not work from when I plugged them in but they worked fine the storm before. I checked the connection and no debris was found inside, no pins broke. I added more dieletric grease and nothing happened. My truck headlights just stay on instead of switching to the plow frame lights. Funny thing is... My hazzard lights and turn signals both work on the plow frame and not the truck.

Anyone have any ideas or experience the same problem?

2. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

sounds like a bad relay or a wire came unplugged from relay.
    Locate your relays first check for unolugged wires.
    Next if no wires unplugged then with igni on try plugging in plug in and listen to see if you hear a click. If no click replace relays. If click then something is lose or bad in lights.

3. joeco129

joeco129 Senior Member

Yeah, one thing I noticed was no click... You can feel it in the plug when you connect and nothing happens now... Just on the other plug for power to the plow.

Where are relays located?

4. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Usually they are on the drivers side up near the headlight. At least that is where i put them when I install for others. Other wise check pass side.

5. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

You may have to remove the battery or losen it to access them

6. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

lights out on high and lo beam?

7. joeco129

joeco129 Senior Member

Yeah, I'm getting no lights on the plow lights itself. When plugged in they stay lit on the truck itself. The hazzards and turn signals work on the plow rack though.

I need to check the relays like suggested. Hopefully tomorrow I will have time. I'll keep eveyone posted.

Thanks for the help.

8. Littlewazz

Littlewazz Junior Member

I'm having the same problem with my Uni-Mount lights side markers and turn signals work. But the headlights have about a 5 min delay then they kick on or flip back and forth from the truck lights to the plow lights. Also there is no high beam on the plow. Its a 9-pin 2 plug electrical connectors with a 3 port isolation module. And yes my relays are behind the driver side headlight and I just got new ones to replace them.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  9. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

sounds like you have a bad connection at the grill plugs if it keeps bouncing back and forth. Try cleaning them real good. I usually do mine at the beginning of every season to prevent that.

10. joeco129

joeco129 Senior Member

Ok.. replaced relays and still no lights on plow. Just on the truck. Any other ideas?

11. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

ok just checking but this is on the 04 ford correct?

12. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

ok so I did some digging and here we go using a test light.
    1. On the grill connector truck side there is a 9 0r 12 pin connector. Look at it so that the "notch is pointing up. On the upper row from left to right the second pin is the low beam headlamp pin check to see if you have power there.
    2. Still on the upper row the far right pin is the high beam, see if power there.

Let me know what you come up with and we'll go from there.

13. joeco129

joeco129 Senior Member

I don't have a test light available right now. All I have is an eletrical tester. That should work, right?

14. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

also checking but you do have both cables plugged in.

15. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

yes that will work just fine

16. joeco129

joeco129 Senior Member

That made me laugh... Yes I do...

17. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry but its in the book in bold letters to make sure so they must of had problems with that.
    Also check you PM.

18. joeco129

joeco129 Senior Member

yes it is a 2004

19. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

one other thought but at your controller do you still have power? Does the plow still work?

20. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

check for power on the brown wires on the relays. ground on the black with orange. turn lights on low beam and move the 9 pin plug up and down. then left and right. still no click?