1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lights/wiring unimount

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by randomb0b123, Feb 4, 2012.

1. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

2. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

what truck did that come off of? do they have all the wiring to go on the truck, and was it any good? what truck do you need to go on? do they say the plow still worked when they took it off?

just a pair of lights wired together to the plug (Western part # 61540-1) should be about $260

3. randomb0b123

from america

I dont care about truck side stuff mines already wired. I mean the plowside wiring

4. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

ahhh, cool.. you just need the 61540-1 lights then. they are all wired together, and have the wires to go to the coils on the power unit, and the plug to plug into your harness at the grill.

5. randomb0b123

from america

so that should be all id need?

6. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Make sure you count the number of plugs and pins in them. Unis have several revisions. You probably have only two plugs at the grill meaning your plow lights and control connections are all in the same plug. But there are several versions of that harness / system. There are actually seven kinds that I know of, they come with 7, 9 and 12 pins, then there is the V and the straight blade too and something they call the "lg" and regular version. Not sure what the lg means, probably "long" to reach the cab in larger vehicle applications. The 61540-1 is a headlamp kit with harness I believe but is it the right plug?

7. randomb0b123

from america

unfortunately he sold the plow before i called so none of this really matters now but id still like to know exactly what you mean. my truck has 2 plugs and relay system. what does that make it?

8. mishnick

So it is the two plug system as it was when it came out of the factory. Now you just have to count the number of pins in the light / control plug on your truck side harness. One of the plugs will have two big pins for the heavy current going to and from the motor. The other plug has more smaller pins to connect to the headlights, signals, park lights and the control coils. It apears to me that the 7 pin is for plows with what they call "central hydraulics" where there is no electrical control connection to the plow. The 9 pin has high beam, low beam, right signal, left signal, park lights and then three control wires and finally an indipendant ground. The 12 pin looks very similar but has more connections so that left and right lights don't share a single pin.

Taking it back a step... you need to understand that there are also two types of two plug systems. The old two plug is what we have been talking about with the intigrated lights and controls. The new two plug system has one plug for the lights and another plug for battery power (hot all the time) and two small pins for what they call multiplex communication. They are built right into the moulded plug so on that system you would see two big pins and two small pins on one plug. That system has been used for a while on Wide-out, MVP plus and on the HTS. This year Western started shipping the new version of the other straight blades with multiplex as well. I expect when the old inventory is gone Western will sell the two plug multiplex system exclusively on all types of their plows except central hydraulic systems.

Getting back to your question, if you buy some other uni-mount you need just to verify that it has not been modified to have three plugs (not difficult to put it back to two) and then count the number of pins in the light / control plug. Will be either 9 or 12. Of course it would be good, if you have a truck rigged up for a uni-mount, to count the pins on your existing plug and find a plow that matches. It's cheaper to rewire the plow than to do the truck so keep that in mind.

Another thing to consider is... if you have nothing on your truck for wires now you could upgrade to the newer isolation module system. In this case you would convert to three plugs. One dedicated to your lights, one plug just for controls and the third is the same as the uni where it has only two pins for switched battery power to the motor. This is a bit more money but the advantage is if you end up getting a newer ultra-mount you won't have to buy the electrical. Most of the electrical will be compatible with any ultra-mount even if you got a new multiplex system.

Hope that helps clarify things. If you really want to dig into this here is a link to the Western electrical book. It shows every schematic ever made right from the old relay systems up to the newest multiplex, every plug system and every pinout.
    http://library.westernplows.com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/22373.07_110108_for_web.pdf

9. randomb0b123

from america

i wouldnt buy an ultramount and i cant anyway they dont make a mount for my truck. ive seen a few v plows on craigslist that i considered but there always 3 plugs. is there some way i could have my truck able to use v or straight blades? like an adapter?

10. mishnick

You can buy the control harness for the Vplow and you can get an adapter to run a straight blade on a Vplow control harness but not the other way around. The V has six valves so there are six wires wheras the straight blade has only three. The adapter only uses three of the six but you can't go the other way around so if you feel you might use both then wire up for the V and buy the adapter.

If you see a plow that has three plugs it has been retrofitted for the newer isolation module wiring. Isolation modules are a solid state, single box, unit that replaces the old relays. Much simpler to install and troubleshoot. But if you don't get the right truckside wiring then it costs a lot more to wire it up. As I said before, it's not difficult to wire it back to the two plug 9 or 12 pin system. That would be less $ than rigging up the truck for isolation module. It really depends on what comes with the plow as far as vehicle side harnesses go. If the seller gives you the controle cable, isolation module and hand held controller then all you need to buy is the headlight harness kit for about $200. That wouldn't be so bad.

11. randomb0b123

from america

the vs ive seen didnt come with any wiring, what wiring would i need to get to be able to do what you just said? are unimount vs 3 plug or 2?

12. mishnick

Uni mount Vs are originally all two plugs. Same as the straight blades except they don't come in the 7 and 9 pin versions. If the plow has no wiring at all then you would be able to just use the harnesses for a regular (not the plus version) ultra mount V plow. Then you could use the isolation module etc. If the plow has cables on it there will be two and in that case you are better to just stick with the original relay harnesses.

13. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

that makes it a relay wiring system for a straight plow. the 61540-1 lights would be correct to match up with your truck, assuming you are talking about the 91 dodge in your sig.
    I assume you have a unimount mount on your truck, and straight blade relay wiring, so if you find a relay wiring straight plow it will hook up to your mount and wiring.
    The plow you started the thread with was a unimount plow and was just missing the lights.

you don't need any 12 pin lights or anything weird for your truck. If you find a newer plow, and have questions on what it would take to go on your truck, or what it would need different than whatever it comes with, we can cross that bridge when we get to it.