1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lights & wings

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by dc.snowball, Oct 25, 2011.

1. dc.snowball

dc.snowball Junior Member

hi all...new to the forum...old timer at plowing and long time fisher man.(have boss/ meyer/ western too) .... 8.5' mm1. with the old-style sealed beam halogen lights. anything out there to give brighter light without adding aux. flood-lights? i've tried sylvania's brightes . no better than orig. equip. converting to the intensifier type is toooooo costly. 2 estimates were both @ $900+. have heard about an adapter to go from old 7 or 9 pin to new 11 pin type... but nobody can cough it up when put on the spot.... &..... now the real challenge-------i want wings on my straight blade like the ones offered by fisher for their xls..i called fisher and they only offer the 1 and no plans to offer anyrhing to us straight blade guys. have not tried aftermarket wings for a few years, but they used to bend and break or rip-off before the 1st storm stopped. any suggestions and/or has anybody out there made their own.. a trip bladenotussmileyflag too hard (meyer/western) but a trip cutting edge looks like a real challenge....appreciate any feed-back....thanks all....dc.snowball and always plow with the storm.

2. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

3. Lone136

Lone136 Senior Member

Like yourself I'm in need of better lights. I'm also a Fisher man when it comes to my plow. I know Western makes wings of there plows, but haven't seen a set for fisher as of yet. I have plans to build a pair for my plow I hope this week based off of the Western wings, but they will bolt right to the side of the Fisher

4. dc.snowball

lone136....fisher engineer e-mailed me and stated that there is NO plans to make wings for straight blades...fisher, western, and blizzard are all under the same coporate umbrella...so you would think that with all the parts and pieces from 3 plow co.'s, we could brighter lights, wing extensions for straight blades with trip edges without paying a fortune or re-inventing the wheel. will let you know about the lights... let me know about your wings....think snow

5. Lone136

Lone136 Senior Member

The ones made for the Western plows are over 600 dollars and as A poor man I sure can't or wouldn't pay that for them. When I know I can build them and they will look just as good and will work mayby=e better when I'm done. I do welding for a living so that's not a problem. The problem comes from having the time to work on my own things

6. dc.snowball

my dad was and my son is a want-to-be welder. maybe we can't see the forest thru the trees.... how do you address the trip edge.... the wings don't trip????..ussmileyflag

7. Lone136

Lone136 Senior Member

You would have the have a rubber cutting edge on the wings them selfs. When ours trip it should hurt the rubber I wouldn't think. I'm also thinking the wings should be at about 45* and no more then a foot long and or out

8. dc.snowball

have heard that 33* is a good angle....and rubber cut edge is good.... let me know how u make out....think snowussmileyflag

9. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

Get some composite lights and an hid kit. Ebay or amazon would be a good place to look for 4x6 lights and ddm tuning has good prices on hids. With a little extra wiring you can get the hi/lo hid kit. Or what most do is just get lo. They are plenty bright, you won't miss high beam.

10. DuraBird02

DuraBird02 Member

Hello, i am new to this site and also to fisher plows. I have plowed with Western in the past, but this year i bought my own (used) fisher straight blade. I work for a metal fab shop and i am currently working on a design for a set of wings for my plow. Once i am done with the design and prototypes, i'll share some pictures with you guys. Look forward to sharing stories and insight along the way.

11. dc.snowball

durabird02....lonestar136 and i will be very interested in your fabrication & pics. u will love the fisher once u get used to the trip-edge. used them all & still come home to fisher. good luch & and stay in touch,

12. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Can't wait for the pic's and such about the wings!

13. DuraBird02

DuraBird02 Member

Okay, so i threw something together really quick today. I would appreciate all feedback, negative(constructive criticism) and positive. I really hate the idea of bolting something through the skin of the plow so this is a design to bolt to the rib on my 7'6" fisher. The rubber is not shown on the bottom of the wing, but it is similar to a lot of other wing setups. Let me know what you think, the over hang on each side will be about 12" and it is are a 33 degree angle. Also a side not, the horizontal ribs will be more horizontal in my final design, they are just thrown in there to show there is support on the back side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. DuraBird02

DuraBird02 Member

15. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I think it looks good. It needs to be beefed up quite a bit though. The horizontal ribs need to be able to take some abuse. Also if it just bolts to the outer rib of the plow it is gonna bend easily. I would tie it to at least two ribs. have you looked at other manufacturers' wing designs? You might be able to get some ideas from them. I know snoway wings are pretty much solid attachment to the moldboard and operate with the moldboard. Snow dogg I think has shear pins that will break if needed. Looks good though. What I don't like about the pro wings is that they don't match the curve of the moldboards and look weird.

16. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Anymore news about the wings?

17. DuraBird02

DuraBird02 Member

Changed the design. I found somewhere online a guy had built his own set of wings. I will post pictures of my new design and I plan to start fabrication this weekend.

18. DuraBird02

DuraBird02 Member

19. DuraBird02

DuraBird02 Member

20. DuraBird02

DuraBird02 Member

Okay well these are pictures of his design, I don't have an accurate 3D model yet.