1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lights While Plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Stik208, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

2. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

i dont like lites on the in side they have a glare on the windows and make it a pain in the ass too see at times.i would go with hide a ways .all so if you have a truck box you can put L.E.D lights on the back it looks great . :gunsfiring:
  3. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Good for the rear LED WIC3 :)

jason truck.JPG
  4. Stik208

my idea is to go with a Whelen Dual Talon in the front winshield amber and white its extra bright and has 21 different flash patterns to chose from, a slim lighter in the rear window, and hideaways (for a good price). Here is a link to see the Talon in action.

5. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I looked into the slim lighter for the rear window its a good choice they are very bright some of the state cops here use them.
  6. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

That thing will reflect off the windshield and probably the snow as well.
    I use hidden strobes in the front and rear and usually leave the front off due to the reflection.

7. bull4428

bull4428 Junior Member

as a firefighter i have used many many lights from roof lights to dash lights and consealed strobes. dash mounted strobe lights are nice to look at but they give off reflections weather you use a reflector or not it will bounce off snow rain fog and it makes it really hard to see and white lights are even worse. if you are set on a dash light you should look into LED lights they are not as bad. i have plowed commerically for 5 years and i use 2 amber whelen consealed strobes in the highbeams 1 red and 1 amber deck strobe on the back deck 4 clear strobes in the brake lights a whelen mini bar amber front facing and red and amber to the rear and a whelen LED arrow stick.also with dash lights you dont get 360 warning at best you only get 180 degrees of warning and if your backing up a lot it makes a big difference.
  8. james731

james731 Member
    from ny

the talon is a good choice i feel for the front window. although it is a led light it throws the light off so you will get a little glare. i dont use the shield on my truck but they do help alot. you can also get that as a single light in amber.

for the back you mentioned a slimlighter. good choice but, these lights are like computers when you get a new one there is a better light out already. i would suggest the ultra slimlighter. it is the same thing but it uses a TIR 6 series light (6 big dots instead of hundreds of little ones) and they are much brighter. i personally would get 2 ultraslimlighters and mount them in the back window next to eachother and you put on a fast pattern on them both it looks really good.

or if you want to go big and spend about 800 on a light look into the dominatior which is a whole bunch of TIR 3 lights mounted on a bar made for the back window. it is also an arrowstick

just my .02 cents
  9. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

I never will understand all this fascination with the fancy lights.. I just have an old orangeish/yellow strobe on top of my truck mounted on my roof rack.

From what I've seen, you could attach strobes every 2 inches around your truck, if you're gonna get whacked, you're gonna get whacked.. It's fate..

Chances are the person that hits you is talkin on thier cellaphone and drinking thier coffee and EXPECTING you to stop pushing that 1000lb load of snow so they can cut in front of you. I've seen the same thing happen when I was operating a front end loader with a 14' Protech box and a full load of snow.. People walking across the parking lot expect you to stop so they can get to thier car... Never mind the fact that if they waited 15 seconds for you to pass, they wouldn't be walking in the snow anymore..

Save your money on all those pretty lights, you'll need it for gas next Winter!!
  10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I just have an Ecco magnet mount (big) strobe light on my roof while plowing.
    I have worked for over 25 years on ambulances, so I am used to flashing lights in all weather conditions. This light works great and it does not cause visibility problems with snow etc. With lights mounted low you will have problems with light splash on the falling snow and fog etc. Lights behind glass are even worse. And no matter how many lights you have flashing there's still idiots out there on foot or on cell phones not paying attention!
  11. Stik208

I am looking for the undercover look. So I am in the running for a dual halogen Federal Signal mirror light on ebay its red and blue but I will switch to Amber/Clear. They are alternating flash, I figured going with the halogen because of the bounce of LEDS and Strobes off the snow. Also in the back window I plan on using a Slimlighter or 2, and after I sell my three lights I have been trying to I want hideaways in the front corners and reverse lights. I figure that will give me the lighting I need.

12. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

If you are going for interior lighting go LED. Draws much less and "bounce" isn't really an issue. You'll have more reflection from the halogen, more draw, and more heat. It is also bigger which reduces visibility. The LED units also have much smaller guaege wire to run since they draw a lot less.
  13. scaper27

scaper27 Member

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i have 4 corner hideways and a strobe on the roof. with the light on the roof you'll get 360degrees of protection. not that any amount of lites are going to keep people from pulling behind you.