1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lights: The Best Set-up?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Clean & Green, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Clean & Green

Clean & Green Junior Member

I am getting lights for my plow truck and I have a revolving beacan (aka piece of sh**) and want to upgrade to strobes inside the truck (possibley cop headlights and taillights) what is the most cost-effective method... I plan on purchasing this off of ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=73335&item=5779425382 and I am wondering if anybody else has this and if it works any good. Their feedback seems to be quite high in customer satisfaction.

2. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

I have heard no good reviews from those. Some guy on another forum got them and said they are ok when its dark but are not very bright and useless when lighter out. Right now I'm making my own led setup. Bought a bunch of amber led's from ebay for cheap and wired them in series and put 21 leds in each of my sunvisors so they can be flipped down when needed. I almost used project boxes to make ones for in the rear window and am making some for the side also. Then I bought a 20 dollar led strobe flasher for all the leds and when im done I'll have a cheap homemade and very effective low amperage lighting system

3. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Whatever you do dont buy that strobe set. They are the cheapest things ever. They have camera size strobe tubes.

4. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

I have also heard they cause a horrible reflection off your windows inside the truck. Stick with the "Gumball machine" till you can afford a portable strobe for the top of your truck.
    Todd

5. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i run 4 hideaway strobes and a dual strobe on the roof.
    its pretty bright but the a- holes still get in your way
    for the up coming season im going to put 2hideaways in the backup lights and reverse beeper
    john

Last edited: Jul 3, 2005
  6. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

we have them in our Sheriff's Office cars, there ok for what we use them for, but they dont put off enougth light to use bythem selfs. Go with hide-a-ways and a bar on the roof.

7. Clean & Green

Clean & Green Junior Member

Thanks for all the replies

8. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I run a quad flash strobe on my roof (replacing with a new LED one, and i have two amber led's mounted on my tool box facing the rear.I have a pic on here somewhere ill dig it up when i get the chance.

9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Remember hiding strobes in lights CAN create situations where ytou have absolutly no lights visable. Lots of guys here love them, but I have seen more than my share of other plowers with hide-aways fully blazing, but you can't see the strobe from a given angle. Or the blade is up blocking the front strobes- angled blocking the side strobe... make absolutly sure you can see the strobes flash from all angles, if not you're wasting the strobe and have a false sense of security.

I have a Federal Signal mini rotater bar (2 halogens) on the roof- no way I am not seen- ever with the cap on the back. Cheap, clean, and comes off in spring.

10. DJDarknez

DJDarknez Member

Don't bother with those lights from E-bay. I have that double-strobe one. Forget it.

If your looking for lighting, go with the big companies. Federal Signal. Whelen. Code 3. Tomar. Sound Off.

I've used the FedSig Highlighter (what justme- described. Bright. Fast. Price wasn't too bad). Just bought, like 2 days ago, a FedSig FireBeam. Also very bright, and even has a speed selection switch. Removable magnet and all that. I also have a Sound-Off Predator. VERY bright!