1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lights suck on Dodge trucks I guess

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Eronningen, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

I posted this a couple years back. I have a 2011 3500 Ram diesel. The lights on my snowmobiles are better than this thing. What, if anything are you guys doing to remedy this?
  2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Do you have the quad style headlamp (seperate bulb for high beam) or the dual style headlamp (one light bulb for high and low)? Guys are swapping to the quad headlamps for more light output.

Other than that, the newer Ram's headlights really aren't the greatest.
  3. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

My 04 has pretty decent lights...

Have you taken the time to aim them? I know with the plow it's huge if they are off. I spent the better part of an hour fidgeting with aiming plow lights last night. Would apply to the truck as well..
  4. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

A dollar store flash light was better than my 04 Ram's head lights.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Was that a LED flashlight?
  6. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

I know I asked about this last year as well on my 10. they just plain suck! I have the single bulb sett up, it's like the beam is flat and just stops short, no light on the road directly in front of you either. I have a 15 year old Jeep and I would rather drive that at night.
    I'm thinking the answer is a good set of driving lights.
  7. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Looks like there is no good answer. I'll check with the local dealer but I'm sure I;ll get some generic response along with a confused look from the person I'm asking.

I have a 2008 2500 also and they are no better. The lights on these two trucks are worse than any vehicle I've ever driven. Seriously, and they aren't even close to being decent
  8. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like the right answer. Other options (most common HID upgrades for example) are likely to cause blinding glare, but a decent set of low-mounted driving lights can really light up the road without blinding anybody.
  9. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Guys on dodgetalk.com are retro-fitting HID projectors into the housings and getting good results. In the end, the lights really aren't that great. Too bad cause my 2nd gen lights are actually really good (the sport model with quad headlamps).
  10. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

I had the quad lights on my '06 Reg Cab Laramie and they were pretty decent ... you can't buy a Laramie Reg Cab anymore so I got stuck with the dual lights on the '12 and they do suck. Using the XRT Pro to run high beams and fogs at the same time should help ... I hope. A bulb upgrade did also help the '06.
  11. bob coco

bob coco Member

I own a 2006 Powerwagon and the lights are great. They are the single bulb setups and I also own a 2010 regular cab with the single bulb and a flashlight is brighter. I always drive with the driving lights on which makes it bearable. I even switched to PIAA bulbs which made it a tad bit brighter but they still suck.
  12. Alaskaforby4

Alaskaforby4 Member
    from Alaska

I have a set of Lightforce Strikers on my 06 Dodge 1 ton. They are simply amazing! Worth every penny.