1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lights on the plow BLADE

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by spencer087, Nov 11, 2010.

1. spencer087

spencer087 Member

Has anyone put lights on the blade or blade guides? i just assembled my Wide Out today and thought that that would be a great idea! i havent plowed witha truck before though so i dont know if they would just get destroyed instantly or what

2. spencer087

spencer087 Member

I mainly am wanting them so people can see teh edges of the plow and stop hogging the road. Amber lighted tips on the plow markers or guides whatever you call them would be awsome!

3. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Yup they have that. Just like you mentioned. Amber Lights on the markers.

4. spencer087

spencer087 Member

Can you point me to their direction please?

5. if u bolt grill lights on the outside ribs of the plow they shouldnt get ripped off and when they flash on comming drivers will be able to see them

6. spencer087

spencer087 Member

Thats what I was,thinking of doing. My main concern is roads here are tiny and my plow at full angle scares me with oncoming drivers. I wonder if putting them on the outside of the wings would work on my wideout? Or would they get ripped off in scoop mode...

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

There are pictures on the site of some norwegian snoways with lights as blade ghuides. They are an arrow part number. If I can round them up I will get you the part number. They are a rubber housing with amber lights on both sides.

8. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

if you go on whelens website, there is an installation guide of installing TIR3 led lights on the wings of a plow... pretty cool idea

9. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

http://www.kwikwire.com/plowmarkers.html

These are amazing I have them on my Western Wideout. I have the 24" ones and wired into the parking light so there on when the plow lights are on or you can hook them to your turn / hazzard lights or into a seperate flasher. These are Bright

10. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

Give me a couple days I can post pics and the comments I have gotten have all been WOW nice marker lights or thoses are soon cool and I have even considered putting a set on my Daniels Rear Pull Plow too. You can order direct from there website

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  11. spencer087

spencer087 Member

Thanks that would be great

Those are pretty cool, I think ill try those and a light head on each side to flash as well :D
    I would like to see them on that wide out!

12. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

lighted blade guides

Make sure you leave extra wire for extending the wings. On my accts I dont have objects to catch wires so I let lay loose as in photo 1
    Make sure to have extra too running from the A frame to the light tower so that when your blade bottoms out you dont pull wires as in photo 2 & 3
    Photo 4 Is daytime inside my garage
    Photo 5 is Night time No Camera Flash with Blade i scoop position

KW1.jpg

KW3.jpg

KW4.jpg

KW7.jpg

KW11.jpg

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  13. spencer087

spencer087 Member

Those are awsome. Do tehey flex like the factory so they wont break?

14. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

they look bright, is it likely to be too annoying or distracting you think? I like them, but I wouldn't want to be blinded by them when the blades up travelling. Anybody hook them up to turn signals?

15. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

I have thought about getting a set and hooking them up to my LED flasher, but didnt know how well they would hold up, so I never did. Are they pretty durable?

16. phen440

phen440 Junior Member

i agree, i would be concerned they would be more distracting while plowing

17. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

there is alot of flashback on the last pic. If you look at the pic when its in the garage that is how they look at night outdoors, they are not as distracting as one may think and I did have them hooked to my turn signals at first and changed to parking lights as I did not always plow with my turn signals on being able to be on.(lighted) They are durable I have not had any problems during the cold weather cracking or breaking they are a softer material and somewhat bendable

18. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

muck cheaper easier way!!!! go to your local sign maker and ask for 3m reflective vinyl come in many colors sing shop can cut any design or text you need and stick to plow. the best part is that you dont see it only oncoming does:salute:

19. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Same issue here, my 7'6" boss with wings = 9'6" so I just bought 3M reflective tape just incase someone hoggs the center line, that dosent always show from snow cover!

But as some have said they wouldn't like it while driving on the roads, but istn that the point? So oncoming traffic can see the edge of your blade. If they were hooked up to turn signals/hazzards then you would have to activate for all oncoming traffic!

20. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

It would cost me $80 a year to have those. I tear at least one marker a year off on dumpsters or trees....mostly trees.