1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lights on or off

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Antlerart06, Jan 3, 2014.

?

How do you plow

Poll closed Feb 2, 2014.
  1. Lights on all time with strobe

23 vote(s)
    76.7%
  2. Park lamps only

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  1. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Who plows Lots with there lights off and strobe off?

When Im in a lot at night. I will run only park lights.
    I think its less stress on my eyes and easy to see moving cars and once I see one I turn strobe back on and once it passes I turn strobe back off.
    I know I see few other people does it. Wonder how many really does it

2. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

I normally Only do resis and where we are there is no street lights. SO i normally keep them on.

Its all in what kind of situation your in. IF i was doing a lot with lights I think I would just run parking and strobes.

3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I run parking lights only most of the time.

4. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

I always keep my lights on.

5. ColliCut

ColliCut Member

Last night was my first night plowing. All of my properties are medium-large commercial lots. I started with all the lights on, but after a couple hours, turned them off to reduce the draw on my electrical system, and found that I actually prefer the view without the lights on. That said, I only did this in the middle of the night while there was little chance of someone pulling into the lot. Once it hit about 5am, I turned everything back on.

6. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Lots with lights I shut mine off, but my beacon is still on

7. Antlerart06

My strobe can drive me crazy at times Beacon might be better
    My son thinks he needs his lights on all time until he gets close to me I make him turn his off One thing I hate is backing up with blinding lights in my mirror

8. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

I shut the headlights off when backdragging near walls, and turn my amber lightbar off when it's 2am with just me and the backhoe in the lot.

My commercials are poorly lit so I run the headlights 95% of the time, I also have started running my fog lights when I plow, on my chevy they shine under the plow when it's raised.

9. NortheastSNO

NortheastSNO Member

I'm kind of confused here

Do you mean you turn your headlights off and use only your parking lights and strobe

Or

Do you mean you do not use your strobes.:confused:

10. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

Lights and strobe on all the time if I'm plowing.

11. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

My head lights are always on, my hide-a-ways and rear flood lights are always on too. If it's a time of day when there are people around I'll run my lightbar. We're to the point now that I'll run my lightbar as well if we have more then 1 truck in the same lot. The snow piles are all enough that being able to see the lightbar over the pile or being able to see where it's reflecting off things from gives an idea where the other truck is.

12. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Night time. Head lights and beacon

Daytime beacon only UNLESS working in a crowded lot with traffic, then I also run the rear strobes

Now having said that, this last snow I was running the rear strobes with the beacon at night while back dragging loading docks that open to a street, because the piles on either side of me were huge. So I wanted the extra visibility.

13. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I never touch the light switch, so when the photocell thing decides it's dark enough to turn them on, they're on.

Hideaway LEDs are on most of the time, but sometimes I won't bother depending on the lot and time of day.

14. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

insurance saws lights always....so iv'e been told by the boss

15. tyreese27

tyreese27 Member

If you ask me thats completely dumb to turn your headlights and strobes off. If i saw some guy doing that I would call him a dumb*** just my thoughts

16. Antlerart06

That's ok I'll draw it out
    I get in a big lot and say its after midnight Its me and my crew I will plow with head lights off only run park lamps and fog lamps.
    I will turn off my Strobe light mine can be blinding to my crew

Doing this I see better and if I see head lights in my mirrors I know its not my crew and Then I'll turn on my strobe and when they leave I'll shut it off. This helps me alert other crew members that a car is driving threw the lot.

Saves on battery to.
    Mostly saves on my eyes lights shinning off the snow on the ground or at the piles. I stay alert better

17. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

:laughing: Me too! Always lights and strobe on.

18. NortheastSNO

NortheastSNO Member

I have to agree with others that is not only the dumbest idea i have ever heard, but also one of the most dangerous. That is what strobes are for is to alert people that you are there. I always plow with headlights and strobe lights going, and require everyone using equipment to do so as well. Last thing i want is being sued because someone got hit while he was going to walmart at 3 am for whatever you buy at walmart at 3 am

19. Antlerart06

Well doesn't work in a Wal Mart lot or any lot that a business is open 24/7 I do it in a empty lots where business are closed. Sorry didn't add it in the first post.

I guess I might be a dumb ass then for last 32 years doing it with no problems. I have never hit a car or any my crew I have had in past 32 years(((( knock on wood))))

I see guys hit cars and they look like a fire truck. Doesn't matter if your strobe is on or off you hit a car its your fault. Some times if you are blocking a lane with your strobe on and a car slides in to you it can go 50/50 a good lawyer can make it your fault blocking the lane.

Every body has the right to there opinion

20. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

If your batteries and charging system are in good shape and operating properly, it's a non issue.