1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lights on? or off.

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by jhall22guitar, Feb 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

I just wanted to see what people think about having their lights (I mean the mini light bars, strobes, etc) on while driving on public roads. Whats you opinion and why/why not do you do it?

2. clydebusa

clydebusa Member

Search , there are seveal threads on this.

3. jhall22guitar

I did. Most that came up were random commercial threads.

4. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, search this topic.

But let me be the first to tell you it's stupid to run lights from property to property. You're nothing more than a distraction and a self-important whacker if you think there's a reason to do it. Shut the damn lights OFF between accounts

~Kevin

5. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i run 4 corner strobes or arrowstik on flash when plow down. i only turn the overhead bar on when i enter intersections to clean them
    no lights on when plow up in transport

6. jhall22guitar

I was asking because Ive noticed around here during storms people do keep the lights on, I cant lie, it does help us see each other as myself and a few other guys mentioned that we have had close calls during some storms (in past years) where you cant see to far ahead, so 2 trucks coming at each other can cause some really close calls.

I wil say that during the night, unless theres almost zero visibility alot less people run the lights, but during the day during a bad storm, lights seem to be on.

(And yes I did search for this, but searching "Light on or off" pulls every thread with any of those words.)

7. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

I'm kind of surprised. This one's had the living tar beat out of it.

8. Fire_n_Ice

Fire_n_Ice Senior Member

HAHAHAHA! That is an understatement! Just turn your "warning lights" off as there is no need to "warn" anybody that you are NOT plowing.

9. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

And were off..........

He we go again, lights on are dumb and make you unprofessional

Lights on because i want to be seen and be safe...

So do you like beans or no beans in your chilli ? Well??

10. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

See, now that's a whole new thread. "Do you fart in the truck while you're plowing or don't you?"

11. dieseltech

dieseltech Senior Member

I run my grille lights when its snowing and i have my plow up...you can just see em and i feel they give a heads up as to me having a plow on. I do not run my lightbar or rears unless i am moving snow or on a clients property

12. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Between 1-5 it doesn't really matter, it's mostly just plow trucks on the road and a few cars, they don't really care. During the day I turn it off.

13. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

14. jhall22guitar

HAHAHA, in all honesty I can see both sides to what people are saying, as for looking unprofessional how?

I can see the need to want to warn someone that theres a 8'6" blade on the front of your truck, around here there are some NARROW roads, as I bet there are elsewhere.

On the other hand, my buddy got pulled over, and let go, because he turned his on when we was pulling into a job and a cop in front of him thought he was trying to imitate a police office (his lights were amber so I cant agree).

There are good arguments for both sides.

15. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

If you're not working, there is no need to have the lights on. Pretty simple concept.

16. tuna

tuna Senior Member

Will somebody please tell these Jokers in Ramp trucks with one car on the bed and nothing in tow that there is no reason to have lights on.:gunsfiring:

17. dieseltech

dieseltech Senior Member

Ok soo the dot trucksrun their lights all the time...when working and when not. Possibility of making sudden stops maybe. Do they need to run theirs all the time?

18. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

ZERO lights in transport. You look ******** then once you get to a job on the side of the road no one pays any attention, because the lights have been going for the past 5 miles on the road. They have a much greater impact when you throw them all on entering a lot. Turn em off, save yourself from looking dumb. ;)

19. Most dots by law when the plow is on the lights are going.

20. dieseltech

dieseltech Senior Member

Most dot trucks here run with the lights on with no plow on or salt in the bed. Just driving around. Anyhow its retarted to sit here and argue about it. Everyone has their own way of doing their thing. What one may think of as "retarted" another may think differently. To each their own. Most guys around here run with atleast one form of warning on while in snowy conditions. I could care less what other operators think of the way i do my business. What some may see as pointless, others may see as cautious.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.