1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lights on mirrors.

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by WilliamOak, Dec 28, 2008.

1. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Heres what I want to do (not originally my idea [doug!], but is something I definatley want to do). I want to put some really thin/low profile led's on my mirrors. Thing is what light? I was going to go with those surface mount nova's that another member here has under the badge on his f250, but before I do, is there anything else that would be better?
    I would love to find something clear if they make it but otherwise amber! (picture is just for referance of the truck it's going on)

2. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

i've been trying to find some nice ones for my explorer also, i havent come across any that really stuck out to me as good looking and bright enough.

so i'm interested if anyone comes up with a good choice also.
  3. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Colin I think your best bet would be whelen LIN4's. They offer them in split colors too I think.
  4. WilliamOak

5. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

The Novas are nice, thin and pretty bright.

I bought some Nova SL-WIC3 LEDs that I'll be installing on my truck....they are bigger than the Ultras, same thicknes though.
  6. WilliamOak

DC, where did you happen to find those?
  7. yard5864

yard5864 Senior Member

I have been running the SLULTRA's for a couple of years now, and have had no problems with them. They are very bright, and thin. I believe i got mine from strobes n more.
  8. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

Looks like I'll finally have time to install them this week. Between plowing and moving snow with the skid steer I hadn't had much free time since they came in.
  9. WilliamOak

This might sound like a stupid ? DC, but on strobes n more, they are sold individually and not in pairs correct? I looked, doesnt say anywhere, but I would have to assume they are sold induvidually unless you tell me otherwise lol.
    I think the Slultra is exactly what I'm after.
  10. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

Yep, all their pricing is individually.

They are really pretty bright......damn near was blind for a minute after playing with the patterns using a cordless drill battery :D
  11. NickGB

NickGB Senior Member

You will not find a thinner lighthead, but keep in mind that their output will be more directional than something like a LIN4, meaning that when looking at the truck head-on or directly at the side of the truck, the lights will not be as bright, although for your purpose they are probably adequate.

TO give you an example, the LEDs on the mirrors of this truck are LIN4's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1kZ...57937838&index=59&playnext=2&playnext_from=PL
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  12. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

Why? :rolleyes: You have a full sized light bar on there, Throw in some hide aways and be done. anything more is what I would call Whackerish.
  13. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

why wouldn't you consider hide aways wackerish?
  14. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

Hideaways in the corners help with, well, the blind coners/intersections/snowbanks that obscure vision. Lighting your truck up like it were a UFO is whackerish. JMO.
  15. pwrstroke6john

pwrstroke6john Senior Member

you can never have to many lights, light it up like a UFO
  16. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Can anyone post pictures of their superduty with LED's on the mirrors.
    I'm thinking about putting a set on and want to see what they look like
  17. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

I like the Novas, but what about some TIR3s or something in the grille?
  18. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

I will have mine done hopefully by next weekend. The wiring is in just waiting on the strobes.
  19. NickGB

NickGB Senior Member

Puts the light output in a completely different place. Mirror LEDs are for "intersection angles" Grille lights really only take care of people directly in front of you.
  20. WilliamOak

Exactly, the point of them being on the mirror is that the light output is a little more off axis to the truck... as of right now if you stood at the front of the truck on an angle you would only get the light from the rotator.