1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lights, gauges & radio going off / on

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by jcos, Dec 7, 2008.

1. jcos

jcos Junior Member

I have a 04 f250 with a western ultra mount. Yesterday my driver called me and said that the radio and panel lights and gauges would lose power and flicker when he went to press the buttons on the hand controller. I took it to my mechanic, he played with it but the truck seemed to be ok. We messed with controller for a while checked all the grounds, fuses, everything checked ok. Just looking for some suggestions or another place to start looking to get the problem fixed.

thanks,
    Jeff

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Did it happen after a period of operation the plow?

If so, the super duty's are well know for it. Its caused from draining the battery(s) down from using the plow. A brief time to recharge and it will come back to normal.

3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

the Fix... a bigger alternator.

4. Redneck

Redneck Senior Member

I had a similar problem last night with one of my trucks, the main charging wire cooked off the back of the alternator almost left me stranded 30kms from town with no cell reception.

5. jcos

jcos Junior Member

It did happen after about 6 hrs of plowing. I' ve been plowing with this truck for the last 4 yrs. The alternator was just replaced in Sept.08 and batteries are only 1.5 yrs old.
    thanks,
    Jeff

6. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Did they replace the alternator with the same output or a smaller output to save money?

7. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

Need a bigger Alt...Or a Dodge. LOL

8. jcos

jcos Junior Member

I have feeling they cheaped out, I'm gonna check it out tomorrow and see. thanks for everyone's help
    Jeff

9. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

We had the same problem once on a 97 SD and there is a wire that goes from the alternator that controls how much it charges and ours was frayed, resulting in it not telling the alternator to output higher based on need.