1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lights don't work

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by LB Landscaping, Feb 22, 2003.

1. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Started my 88 1 ton the other day and turned on the lights but nothing happened. The high beam indicator was on but no lights, I clicked to shut off the high beams but the indicator stayed on and the lights stayed off. After playing around with the controls for a couple of minutes they came on and the high beam light went off. Started it again tonight and the same problem high beam indicator on but the lights not. Any ideas????
  2. BigRedBarn

BigRedBarn Senior Member

I've had to replace the left-stem mechanism on GM's a couple of times. They seem to be easily damaged. On many GM's, that stem has a lot of controls on it, and probably can get worn out easily. You have to pull the steering wheel, etc. to replace it. I'm not certain that's your problem, but it is possible, I believe.

It could also be something with a bad ground. In some old Ford cars I had the headlights would do some pretty strange things due to a bad ground in a rear light assembly. Bad grounds can cause some pretty strange things to happen. I guess an inexpensive current tester is a good thing to have in your toolbox.

Just my 2¢.
  3. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Thanks I'll check both things out. When I started it today they ran fine. Go figure!!!