1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lights dimming?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by padec21, Dec 18, 2008.

1. padec21

padec21 Member
    from ct

I noticed the plow lights on my MM1 dim when ever I raise or move the plow. Anyone have any ideas?

2. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

more then it used to?? your light will always dim just a little, even with a duall battery setup on our trucks.
    Hoever, The plow on our 05 dump started doing it real bad this fall when I started to prep them for the season. without me knowing it this was a sign that the pump motor was going bad. and yes, when I needed the plow for the first time this season (yesterday) it would not move at all and I had to get the motor replaced in a hurry late the night before the storm...

3. TurfKing360

TurfKing360 Member

Not only could it be a pump going bad it could also be a sign of corrosion in the battery cables or plow wiring or it could be a sign of both bad cells in your battery or an alternator going bad. We had this happen a number of times over the years.

4. JVRLandscaping

JVRLandscaping Junior Member

It could be your alternator. Keep an eye on your volt gauge. Also you can try checking the alternator; if you have it running, take a big flat screwdriver and hold it firmly on a ridge of the black ring in the center of the alternator (sorry i just don't know exactly what to call it haha). Put your ear up to the end of the handle of fthe screwdriver, if it whines, you need a new alternator. You can also check the battery with a volt meter or take it to autozone and get it checked.