1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lights dimming

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by 3vforme, Jan 25, 2007.

1. 3vforme

3vforme Junior Member
    from CT

Hello, I have a new 06 F250SD with a new Fisher 8'HD. I haven't even pushed with it yet. I have a question, when I raise or angle the plow the lights dim alot. Is this normal? The plow was already installed when I bought the truck. Thanks Mike

KINNCO Senior Member

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You might get better response posting this in the Ford forum, but I'd wouldn't think it's normal if you have a snowplow package on it. Should have a heavier alternator. Regardless, I'd suggest getting a load test.
  4. Al DeMaio

Al DeMaio Junior Member

Make sure that your plow is grounded directly to the battery. Unfortunately, some installers fail to read the directions and they ground to Aluminum brackets etc. I have found if you have clean connections and you ground to the battery, it usually work fine
  5. clipper

clipper Junior Member
    from Maine

My lights dim on my 03 f-250 witha 8 ft mm2. The dim a fair amount when it is cold, and it has not had time to warm up the motor. But after that is just more of a flicker.

Was is realy cold when you tried it?
  6. 3vforme

3vforme Junior Member
    from CT

Yea it was really cold out. The truck hadn't been started for a few weeks and I was going to take the plow off. Maybe the cold and a weak battery? I'll check the connections today.
  7. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

It is normal for lights or electrical componets to dim or slow down some while running the plow, your basically using a starter motor to run the plow.
  8. SLAMllc

SLAMllc Junior Member
    from CT

I'd say you should be ok once the truck runs a bit and warms up, builds up a bit of juice. Sounds like it was just sitting a while. A little dimming is ok and normal.
  9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

dual batteries and HD alternator sure is nice!!! :waving: :waving::D :D
  10. spittincobra01

spittincobra01 Senior Member

slightly off topic, but still on topic...

the lights on my MM1 shake when on the highway or when I hit a decent bump. Is there anything that can be done to stop that?
  11. Bernie Lomax

Bernie Lomax Senior Member

Old one here, but I'm wondering if upgrading the battery to a Optima Yellow top over the factory battery is going to solve this problem for me? I understand the dimming lights is normal, but would the bigger/better battery cure this?
  12. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

my 05 diesel f350 did it before i got new batteries now it doesnt do it anymore. 2 optima yellow tops and a hd alternator i can run all my lights the radio, heater, heated seats everything and the lights dont dim. with the old batteries they would dim considerably
  13. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

If you have a gas job, that sounds right. They dont have the charging system components that the Diesels do. You could put a bigger alternator in it, but you dont want to overcharge the batterties.
  14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Adding an additional battery will help "soften" the power draw more than just upgrading a single battery with a better one but if thats you only option yes a better battery with more amp/hr should help some.

A "bigger" alternator won't overcharge the battery's...common misconception there. The charging output isn't even controlled by the alternator anyway, it's controlled by the PCM through the field wire. You could swap in a 500 amp alternator if you had one and it'd work just fine as the alternator will only charge by what it's commanded to by the voltage regulator...which on the Fords is via the PCM....and which is rather slow to respond to current demands in most cases I might add.