1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lights dimming truck dies

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by cherrybomb, Nov 12, 2007.

1. cherrybomb

cherrybomb Junior Member

I am new to plowing . purchased a 87 blazer with an older arctoc plow. all is good but after i lift 2-3 times the truck dies . is this a bad pump , not enough batt power , somethig else ? i checked the alt and it is charging at 14.5 volts but something is not right ...help
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Your plow is pulling too much power for your battery. Your alternator is trying to restore it, but your battery is just old and tired. While you're at it, have your alternator tested under load.
  3. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Mick's on top of this one
  4. cherrybomb

cherrybomb Junior Member

so you think my pump is good ? AND are most of you guys running dual batteries?

HAZMAT Junior Member

How is the pump responding for those three lifts? Is the first one strong like it should be then it slowly decreases its strength? I would start with the battery if you claim your alternator is operating correctly, If you can run a test with a VAT machine (Voltage, Amperage Tester) and do a load test on your system.

- Kevin
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Use the search function on the gray line above. Search "Charging, Power, Batteries"
    It's beat to death here every year.Note how Dielectric grease is used to protect connections and junction plugs.