1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lights Dim

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by NBI Lawn, Nov 19, 2009.

1. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

It has always done it but am wondering if its normal.

06 Dodge/Cummins with Hiniker straight blade. When you move the plow at all the lights dim and if the heater is on the fan slows... just while you are moving the blade. Almost like it is drawing too many amps or something.

Is this a problem with the wiring or is it "normal"?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's normal and is one reason guys add more batteries, high output alternators and larger cables...to lessen the dimming issue by increasing electrical capacity.

3. NBI Lawn

It already has two :confused: the chevs and fords dont seem to have the problem

4. bh115577

bh115577 Senior Member

My cummins does the same thing when I first start it. I don't think the alternator they use puts out enough power until it gets up to a certain RPM. Once I drive it a little everything works fine. If it is a problem you might consider a higher amp alternator, also check all of your grounds and make sure they are good and clean.

5. NBI Lawn

Isnt that the heating grid turning on and off? Just seems odd that it draws that much to run the plow

6. bh115577

bh115577 Senior Member

Wasn't aware of the heating grid thing. Mine does it in the middle of summer when the wait to start light doesn't even come on.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Two batteries are only a part of the system, as I already mentioned.

8. NBI Lawn

I see what you are getting at here but I am wondering if any of the dodge guys that own cummins trucks have this same problem or if maybe I did something when installing and it is drawing to much some how. Did I maybe hook a wire up wrong?

9. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

The plow will draw close to 200amps, I'm sure it's wired right:D

10. NBI Lawn

I dont know...you should see the guy that wired it :dizzy:

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Are both power and ground plow cables attached directly to the battery terminals? If not they should be. Anyone upgrade the size of the charging wire? If not it should be. All the batteries in the world are of little good unless the important details are also addressed.

12. NBI Lawn

Both are run to the battery but I will try upgrading the size of the charging wire. Seems easy enough. Thanks

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Upgrade it to 4 gage and go directly to the battery.

14. hinikerman

hinikerman Junior Member

I'm a Hiniker dealer in TN. Use a DC amp clamp at the pump motor and see what amps your pulling. It should ot be more than 140 amps. My guess is the fluid is the wrong viscosity. All I use is Aviation Hyd fluid, MIL spec 5606 available at your local airport. Will not gell until -50. R&R fluid & install what i've posted. Make sure and check the brushes on the motor as well. You can slide the inspection cover back & sneak a peek inside also.

Doug

Hiniker Support Team
    Southeast Sales & Service