1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lights dim when plow raised...

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by RamDude01, Dec 5, 2008.

1. RamDude01

RamDude01 Member

Hey everyone, I am having a little problem with my setup. 98 dodge ram 2500 with an '03 8' superduty boss straight blade plow. Everything hooks up and seems to work properly except when I go to raise the plow the lights dim and if I hold the joystick to raise it completely, the 'check gauges' light comes on momentarily in the truck... when I let go of the stick the lights brighten back up again and everything seems fine. Any thoughts???

2. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Get a battery with more CCA or run dual batteries.

3. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

My lights dim when i raise my plow as well. I have chosen to ignore it, but you could add an extra battery, bigger alternater.

4. RamDude01

RamDude01 Member

Battery was replaced earlier this year, 1000 CCA. Just wondering if there was a problem as my other truck with the same exact setup doesn't dim quite as much. Have been thinking of running dual batteries though.

Also, 136 amp alternator - new a month ago...

Thanks for the replies!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  5. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

Is your other truck the same or just the plow. If you already have a big batt. and alternator you may have a problem some were. Or it could be that when you lift the blade your engine is idleing(is that how you spell it) and your alternator is not kicking up. I fish commercialy in the summer and trolling people often have a problem keeping the amps up while running low rpm's. I don't know a whole lot about land based engines but you may be able to increase the size of the pulley on the alternator which would make it spin faster.

6. mnnorthwoods

mnnorthwoods Junior Member

I have the same truck, RAM 98 2500HD Quad Cab. with a Boss 8'2" V. I have had that same problem for ten years and like one of the other posts I just ignore it. It may have something to do with the low RPM because it does not do it all the time.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  7. RamDude01

RamDude01 Member

Yea, the other truck is a couple years newer but the exact same setup down to the battery. I'll have to try to rev it a just a bit and see if I get the same results. As long as nothing is wrong I can live with ignoring it... thanks!

8. ktraver97ss

ktraver97ss Junior Member

I have a different truck, but the exact same plow and mine dims pretty bad too. Im thinking, with how fast this plow is, it is a real juice *****. Tomorrow morn will probably be my first decent snowfall this season, so we will see how is does after several hours of work.

9. RamDude01

RamDude01 Member

Hopefully you'll get the snow... all we've had are teasers, like tonight again. Maybe one of these days we'll actually get enough to get out for the first time this season... I was thinking the same thing, get out and use it and see how it does.

10. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

check the ground on the plow should be straight to the battery. or could be the motor drawing too many amps, pretty common failure easy cheap fix a rebuilt motor

11. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

I'm sorry I meant to say decrease the size of the pulley. :drinkup::sleeping:

12. RamDude01

RamDude01 Member

Thanks Snowman55 for the input. The ground on the motor 'should' be good. I went through all the wiring last month and checked and cleaned all the connections. How would one check to see if the motor is drawing too many amps?

13. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

motor

they make inductive amp draw gauges you can just hold on the cable as close as you can get to the motor .:salute:

14. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

136 AMP Alternator isn't very big, I have a aftermarket 200 AMP, dual batteries and no problems what so ever. Plus I'm running a ton of lights, azz kickin stereo, heater, and I'm still not seeing any noticeable difference in the lights.

Good Luck

15. RamDude01

RamDude01 Member

I just hooked up my other plow it also dimmed the lights and showed the 'check gauges' light if I held the joystick long enough. Not as bad though as the other plow... will have to take a look under the plow hood this week and recheck all the wiring. I also went out and cleaned up the plow to truck connections again, we'll see if that makes any difference... gotta go out and push some snow tonight so will see how she does.

I've been thinking of getting the dual battery kit from Dodge and running dual batteries. Eyesell, where did you get that alternator? about how much do they cost? Is that for running the dual batteries?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  16. RamDude01

RamDude01 Member

I think that you may be right... not enough juice at low idle. Took it out for a few hours last night and it seemed to work just fine. I did notice that if I rev it up a bit the problem went away... I think that I'll look into running a larger amp alternator. Thanks for all the input and help.

17. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

I have the factory 160 amp alternator and my lights dim somewhat when raising the plow and idling (particularly when cold)... If you're going aftermarket, you might want to go bigger than that.

18. RamDude01

RamDude01 Member

Sounds good, thanks!

19. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Like I said 200 AMP and you'll never see that problem again !!

20. bstout

bstout Member

I notice that after I start my truck and begin using the plow, the lights dim a lot. After my truck has been running for about 10 minutes or so (enough time for the battery to recover from starting the truck) the dimming is much less.