1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lights dim, battery meter drops to 10v

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 3seasonguy, Jan 19, 2011.

1. 3seasonguy

3seasonguy Junior Member
    from cen ma

I ve got a 98 GMC Sierra 2500 with a MM 8.5 plow. 1 new battery, alternator is 1.5 years old. Meter reads 14v at startup. When I engage controls, battery light goes on, plow moves slow, lights dim, and meter goes to 10v. After a short while (30 min) battery light no longer comes on however everything else remains the same. It gets me through 10 hours of plowing but I don't want to cause any damage and I want plow to operate faster.

2. JLsDmax

JLsDmax Senior Member

Just i thought, and maybe it can help you, but i had a similar issue our past storm, it turned out to be a bad ground. I had a selonoid replaced and i was getting a huge drain on the battery turns out that there was a loose negative ground wire. I had dim lights, huge drain on the battery gauge, and a slow plow.

3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

:nod:.......