1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lights dim alot

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by bison1973, Nov 5, 2006.

1. bison1973

bison1973 Member

I've got a new Blizzard 810 on a '99 Chevy 2500 6.0(newer body). When I use any of the plow's functions the lights dim considerably and the volt gauge drops quite a bit. The truck has plow prep(130 amp alternator). I don't know how old the battery is but it's rated at 675cca. Any suggestions here?

Thank you.

2. MBB

MBB Senior Member

Get a load ckeck on alternator and battery seperatly, make sure of your conections I have had alt connectors melt down from the load. Use at least a 6 gauge cable 4 is better for plow power leads and alt to batt. Run a seperate ground to truck frame and plow frame again 6 or 4 gauge. Use dielectric grease on connections to prevent oxidation. I have also run into some bad cable/terminal connections if they are only crimped on, solder them if possible, especialy the power lead to the plow (these shold be solderd connections no matter what). hope this helps,

3. bison1973

bison1973 Member

I called the dealer that installed it and all they said was that... "the lights dimming is normal and that it's a heavy plow". How does this sound to you guys?

4. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

I have the 810 on a Dodge Ram 2500 both brand new. 160amp alt and 750 CCA battery. It still takes a toll on the battery and alt here. More so then a normal Fisher. I think your dealer might be correct.

Check the cables as the other suggested, if all is ok and you are still not happy, think about new larger/dual batteries or a larger alternator.

Good luck,
    Chris

5. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

MBB hit it on the head. Follow those instructions and you will see a big difference. This is std on our install now on that truck.

Jerre

6. CGLC

CGLC Senior Member

we had the same prob but we put 1 more batt in. Problem gone.

7. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

man diggin up old threads :p

8. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

When you say run a seperate ground to the truck frame and plow frame are you actually hooking a ground to the undercarriage? I've never heard of this but it makes sense.

9. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Three things that most Cheve/GMC's lack. Dodges and Ford's aren't much better.

1. Heavy duty battery. We run Interstate MPT78-DT's in most of the trucks 800CCA 1000CA
    2. Heavy duty jumper from the alternator to the battery / charge lug. 4GA plow wire is much easier for the amperage to flow thru than a 10 or 12GA
    3. Heavy ground wire to the frame. Most here are also only a 10 GA wire.

Upgrade battery, Upgrade the alternator feed wire and upgrade the frame ground wire will all help with the charge / discharge cycle from the plow unit.

J