1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lights buzzing

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by brg, Jan 3, 2016.

1. brg

brg Member
    from Maine

Hey guys. I recently bought a new F150 with a Fisher HT installed on it. The truck came with the plow package which includes a button on the dash that you have to push in order for the plow to work (the button shuts of non essential electrical items to save power for the plow and electric steering like heated seats and fog lights). Anyways, I just had a chance to use the plow for the first time and overall it worked fine but I did notice one problem. When you start the truck and before you push the plow button, the headlights on the plow flicker a little and I can hear a buzzing noise like a relay clicking on and off real fast. Once you push the plow button, everything is fine. I know it sounds simple, just push the button. The problem is I like to remote start the truck when it's cold and the lights will flicker the whole time it's running remotely. Also, when I shut the truck off, the lights stay on for about a minute and they will flicker until they shut off. I took it back to the dealer and they said it is normal (they said it was a reminder to push the plow button). I'm positive it's not designed this way because it would be a steadier blinking if it was, plus there is no need for a reminder. The plow won't work until you push the button. I was hoping someone else has a similar setup and could say if theirs acts this way or not. Thanks for any input.

2. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

[​IMG]

Go and get one of these.Its called an add-a-fuse.You can get one at any auto parts store.Go into your fuse panel inside the truck and remove a key on fuse (I use the cruise control fuse).Insert the add-a fuse in that spot.Install the fuse you took out into the add-a-fuse.Get another 10amp fuse and install it in the open fuse slot.The 10amp fuse will be the fuse for the plow.Should anything go wrong that fuse will blow and keep anything from happening to the truck.Find the red wire that come off the controller harness and insert and crimp it into the blue butt connector at the end of the add-a-fuse.Something tells me it has something to do with the plow power button which isn't even needed.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  3. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

You need to identify where the buzzing is coming from. Is it coming from a factory Ford component in your truck or is it coming from an added Fisher plow component? Once you identify what relay is causing this(assuming it is a rely as it does have the symptoms of such) you can start trouble shooting. That reminder thing the dealership came up with sounds Fishey.

4. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah I've never heard of or seen a truck with a switch for the plow.If it was dealer installed why wouldn't they have it wired to a key on for power?

5. brg

brg Member
    from Maine

Thanks for the replies. The switch is from the factory. It's part of the plow prep package. I'll go out and check tonight to figure out where the buzzing is coming from.

6. brg

brg Member
    from Maine

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  7. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

Get your hand in there and feel the relays and module. you will be able to determine what is clicking or buzzing by feeling. Whatever is having trouble switching over is the problem.

8. brg

brg Member
    from Maine

I wanted to update this thread in case someone else has this problem later. I ended up bringing it to the nearest Fisher factory direct dealer instead of the Ford dealer and they fixed it. They said it needed a special harness which should have been installed initially but wasn't (I guess early on Fisher didn't know about this problem but quickly realized it and developed this harness). They also moved a ground wire to a better location. Now everything works as it should.

9. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Missing the soft start?