1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lights are out

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by turkey4545, Mar 10, 2002.

1. turkey4545

turkey4545 Junior Member
    from tn

I really do not know much about engines. I took my 1980 chev. 3/4 ton to shop to have it fixed. I couldn't get it to start, I'd turn the key and nothing would happen. They told me there were some shorts in the wires. It will start now just one problem no lights! No headlights no turn lights no side lights no brake lights and no trailer lights. I'm on spring break from school and need this work truck to make some money. Anyone know what might be wrong?

2. cj3859

cj3859 Member

headlight switch?,bad fuses?,even bulbs?,or just plain bad ole wiring,specially if its been hack spliced a few times,dont know of much more than that,good luck!

3. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Headlights and tail/side marker lights are controlled by one circuit, but turn signals and brake lights are on different ones. So if everything is off-line it sounds like no power is getting to the fuse panel.

Do the headlights not work at all, or do they come on, then shut off, then repeat the cycle? They are on a circuit breaker, so if there is a short the breaker will trip, then recycle, then trip again as long as the short is there.

Also, were there any problems with the lights before this happened?

After checking out the obvious - fuses - check to see if there is any power getting to the fuse panel with a test light. Remove the fuse and one of the two terminals it plugs in to should have power. Remember too that the turn signals only work with the key "on" when checking.

Also use the test light to see if there is power getting to the headlight switch - unplug the wiring from the switch and one of the terminals should be live.

4. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

I would check the fusible links coming off the starter should you have no power to the "outside"of the fuse box. They are the main power feeds to your fuse box and lights, and burn away if there is a short in the system or the connector may have coroded off. There should be two or three links coming off the battery terminal on the starter. It's possible that you may have already had one replaced to get your starter to operate, and the other ones where just over looked. Remember to seal up any holes that you poke it wires during testing. "Happy hunting"